Plants

MaggiesMum

Hi everyone... I really like the idea of a Passion flower for my veiled chameleons enclosure. I am in the UK and cannot find an organic one anywhere - or one on any reptile supply website. If I bought one from the garden centre, would that be ok to use? Or would I need to do anything to prepare it such as certain soil/ quarantine time. Also, are any Passion flower plants suitable? As I know you can get different varieties

Hi! So while I’m not a pro expert at chameleons, but I'm pretty good with plants lol. I assume your mean the Blue Passion Flower, which is super vine like and grows fast. I love them, but I don’t advise them for any animals even larger ones. They contain cyanide, which is toxic to so many species. When the leaves are bruised or torn the plant release cyanogenesis in a way to defend against many potential predators.
I attached a photo from one of my plant apps to make sure this is the one you are referring to

Attachments

• 96CAECBD-037F-48CC-81C9-D18CE16D9621.png
    96CAECBD-037F-48CC-81C9-D18CE16D9621.png
    519.5 KB · Views: 76
Hi! So while I’m not a pro expert at chameleons, but I'm pretty good with plants lol. I assume your mean the Blue Passion Flower, which is super vine like and grows fast. I love them, but I don’t advise them for any animals even larger ones. They contain cyanide, which is toxic to so many species. When the leaves are bruised or torn the plant release cyanogenesis in a way to defend against many potential predators.
I attached a photo from one of my plant apps to make sure this is the one you are referring to
Really! Wow! Good to know...I was thinking of getting one for my panther. :eek:
@MaggiesMum veileds eat their plants so you really need to be certain that it’s safe. Adding the safe plant list. With any plant, organic or not, remove it from the soil it’s in and I rinse down to as bare root as I can get it, gently wash the leaves only with a gentle dish soap and rinse well. Then it’s ready for repotting and putting in your enclosure. This gets rid of any chemicals and pests. Oh...also a good idea to cover the soil with at least 1-2” river rocks (too big for your cham to eat) to prevent them from eating soil.
ABF5C28F-211F-45AC-923E-BA00A24781AA.jpeg

yeah, that’s the one. Wow, I’m glad I asked as I’d read they were safe on a couple of websites. How annoying... but obviously better to know!!!

Really! Wow! Good to know...I was thinking of getting one for my panther. :eek:
@MaggiesMum veileds eat their plants so you really need to be certain that it’s safe. Adding the safe plant list. With any plant, organic or not, remove it from the soil it’s in and I rinse down to as bare root as I can get it, gently wash the leaves only with a gentle dish soap and rinse well. Then it’s ready for repotting and putting in your enclosure. This gets rid of any chemicals and pests. Oh...also a good idea to cover the soil with at least 1-2” river rocks (too big for your cham to eat) to prevent them from eating soil.
View attachment 287734

fab, thanks for the advice!!!

Back
Top Bottom