Plants that like water?

SourGrape4u

Avid Member
So I added a fogger about a month ago and slowly my mass cane plants have been yellowing. From the fogger and mistking it is getting to much water I guess since i looked up canes dont need that much. So what is a plant that i can point the mistking on for drinking water for my chams? I want to keep the fogger at night, its on for 5 hours 11-4 and the mistking only runs 3 times a day for 1 minute each. Any suggestions?

I think its important to make sure your soil is very welp draining. Most house plants arent acclimated to enclosure conditions, and aren’t used to all the moisture. If it is yellowing your options are to cut back watering (cant do that in this case), or increase drainage.

A good chunky soil mix will allow air to circulate around the plant roots, and will allow excess water to flush out. I would charcoal and/or orchid bark to the soil - a lot of it. You can then spread a 2” layer of plain soil on top if there is concern of your chameleon eating the chunks.

Typically in tropical house plants I try to mix equal parts peat, perlite (omit in cham cages), charcoal, and orchid bark. Sometimes I add other stuff, too. The exception being bog plants and plants that like “wet feet” like hibiscus.

Chunking up your soil will help - its not going to reverse the damage but should help going forward. Make sure the roots aren’t rotten (mushy black) when you repot.

pothos are indestructible, and orchid hoyas, if they are in an airy potting mix can be watered every day....cactus succulent potting mix

So what is a plant that i can point the mistking on for drinking water for my chams?
The amount of water, light, fertilizing, and drainage a plant needs to thrive are basic information in any competent article about a plant and its care. This should be part of the research in choosing plants for a habitat.

Unfortunately (and I'm not casting any aspersions here) , some folks just choose candidates off a list of chameleon-safe plants without doing any further research or planning.

Being engaged in this process myself, I too started with a list of cham-safe plants, but then did further research (with help from my Missus, who's forgotton more about plants than I'll ever know) on each to decide on suitability and placement.

You should be able to find some guidance here:
placement of plants in chameleon enclosure

So I added a fogger about a month ago and slowly my mass cane plants have been yellowing. From the fogger and mistking it is getting to much water I guess since i looked up canes dont need that much. So what is a plant that i can point the mistking on for drinking water for my chams? I want to keep the fogger at night, its on for 5 hours 11-4 and the mistking only runs 3 times a day for 1 minute each. Any suggestions?
Pretty much any tropical plant will need a lot of water. Here are three that would be good:
Hibiscus
Dwarf Umbrella Tree
Codiaeum variegatum - Croton

Pothus love water and grow like a weed if in proper care. I have a dracaena fragrant but I think that needs little water. Bremeliads are another good choice. I don't use them because they are spicky. Do you guys think I Could use them though? I Know a lot of people use them and they add some nice color and pop to your enclosure.

Pretty much any tropical plant will need a lot of water. Here are three that would be good:
Hibiscus
Dwarf Umbrella Tree
Codiaeum variegatum - Croton
So, schleffera (umbrella tree) and Croton for sure will die if kept moist, they prefer to be kept dry with periodic soaks. They'll rot otherwise. Hibiscus probably wouldn't do too poorly, as some species grow near swamps, but I don't think most cages get enough light to keep one alive. I'd recommend plants like Maranta leuconeura, which loves having wet feet and super moist air, plus has an added bonus of large, flat leaves for water to collect on. If you mount them and keep the soil dry, many hoyas and epiphytic species do well in high humidity too.

JK, you're right, it's my lookalike (ctenanthe burle-marxii). It only started flowering after I started keeping it in a dish for my dripper, and has been flowering on and off for several months ? The maranta is in fact kept dry...

Attachments

• IMG_20200904_164110_4.jpg
    IMG_20200904_164110_4.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 64
Back
Top Bottom