Plants? Plants? Plants?

I think that me cham really likes to crooze around my "Arboricola Capella" or more commonly known as the umbrella plant. You can get them pretty big and some are really dense while others are not as dense, the one i have now is about three + feet tall and atleast 2 feet wide, this is a average size, they can get a lot bigger. :D

Buddah is growing and I plan on buying/building a new cage for his adulthood. I've been looking for large plants like ficus but the greenhouse by me doesnt have anything like that. What I'm wondering is where can I buy these plants. I know ebay has them but I checked the other day and there wasnt even ficus trees. If anyone can point me to a website or maybe somewhere else where I can find these types of plants please let me know.

The starter kit I ordered comes with a ficus, so I'm good there. They have them on www.reptiledepot.com but I don't know if it would be worth it with the shipping cost. I did see some hanging pothos plants at Walmart yesterday for $10, some were really long, some weren't. How do you guys hang these from aluminum cages?

Last edited:
any home depot should have ficus trees...there real popular in california, and chamleons love them too. i was goin to get some hibuscus but the nursery lady said it wasnt good for animals because of the mold it produces...i dont know if this is true but if it is please inform us

Ficus plants

For those in the US looking for cheap ficus plants, I just bought a great 14" ficus for $7.99 at the local supermarket (Raleys). They also had 2-3ft. high ones for $19.99. LIttle Charma does like climbing about on it but hasn't nibbled on it yet.
Good luck with your plant-hunting. (I checked out three plant nurseries as well as places like Home Depot first, with no luck.)

Charma

Sometimes, you can pick up a good deal at Wal-Mart too. I have a five foot ficus that I got at Wal-Mart for $10.00 or so. The problem is that they rarely have them. I have seen ficus at the Wal-Mart in my town twice, and one time, they were all pretty much dead. I haven't seen any at Home Depot in my town yet, but I check often. Another place I like to go is Fred Meyers, for those of you on the west coast. I have little ficus plants in both of my pygmy enclosures, about 12-15" tall, that I got there on sale for $6.00. The Fred's in town really does have the best little plants around, I love going there.

Heika

Last edited:
Whatever plant you choose from the list make sure you wash the leaves to get any pesticide off and make sure there aren't any pebbles or vermiculite in the dirt that they could accidently eat when going for a cricket

camelias also work well and have nice flowers. they can cut into a short bush/tree structure, and their branches can be trained and/or integrated with junglevine (or even wired to the sides of your cage)...they also have nice shaped leaves for dripping/misting water onto. also they seem to like the humidity.

plus camelia sounds like chameleon...

What happens if you purchased a plant that's not on this list? Because that's what I did. LiL bud is okay with it but to play it safe I went and got him a plant from the list.

This list is really helpful: http://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/. I repotted a hibiscus plant in organic soil. I also have a schefflera (about 3 ft). I also have an ivy (make sure it is irish ivy not english). I bought my schefflera from Amazon, actually. The only downside is that they do fertilize it. So when I got it I put it in the bathtub, rinsed the leaves and stem thoroughly. I'm considering repotting it in organic soil, but in the meantime I have the soil hidden with rocks.

The starter kit I ordered comes with a ficus, so I'm good there. They have them on www.reptiledepot.com but I don't know if it would be worth it with the shipping cost. I did see some hanging pothos plants at Walmart yesterday for $10, some were really long, some weren't. How do you guys hang these from aluminum cages?

I have a long metal rod on top of my cage that spans across the edges ( or frame ) the cage. I hang my plants with fishing line - and feed it up through the holes in the screen and knot it up over that rad to take the weight. You could use a heavy yardstick or something similar the same way. For heavier plants, you can make a small slit in the screen and fish through cable ties the same way

This list includes Bouganvilla which has nasty thorns and Pampas grass which has sharp-edged leaves, how well do chameleons get by with that kind of plant issue? Is it a problem?

It is a problem. These list are often just addressing the aspect of toxicity, when eaten.
Any plant, such as a pony tail palm or "yucca" should not be used, ever.

Back
Top Bottom