Plant Overwatering - Solution!

kgallego

Hello all,

I've seen many posts over the last couple years of people trying to find a solution to over watering plants with their misting systems. I believe I've finally found the solution!

This past summer, I built my finest vivarium, and designed the soil mixture and draining system to help combat over watering of plants. Many of have seen the video of it, but for those of you who haven't, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcIbzeCQ0R8

As I mentioned in the video, I added about 40% grow stones to my potting mixture to help with drainage. Even with this, it still wasn't a good enough solution :mad:. My plants were able to survive, but not thrive. After scratching my head for a few months, I came up with an idea. What if I was to inject air under the soil?

Well...I tested it out. I ran six 1/4" drip lines width-wise 4-6 inches under the soil. I connected them all to a 1/4" plastic line, drilled a hole out the bottom, and ran it to this air pump: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=14684

This Coralife SL-65 pump puts out 2.3 cu. ft. per minute air, or equivalent to 17 gallons of air per minute. Within days of installing this system I saw results with my plants! New leaves were sprouting where they had not before. My Thunbergia Alata vines began spreading and growing at a fast rate, when they were barely surviving before.

I run the pump for 3 hours/day while I'm at work on Monday-Thursday. What a world of difference! Now I can water my Cham's as frequently and for as long of a duration as I want, without the concern of drowning my plants.

After I test this out for a few months I'll make a new video of the results and post it for you all to see.

If your soil is always saturated, and your plants are dying, try this out!

Cheers!

Kelsey

Blow drying them from the inside. I love it. I may try this when I set up again after the move at the end of the month since I will have everything torn down at that time anyway.

Not necessarily drying them, but providing oxygen to the roots. When the soil is consistently saturated, air flow through the soil becomes stagnant. By doing this, you provide the oxygen the roots need to thrive.

Here's an interesting and educational video I found on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjD2UL2zmRs

According to this video, plants will grow at hydroponic rates, better than just growing in regular, well drained soil.

Think it would work the same if you just put wider tubes in the soil without the pump?

Possibly. I don't know. I considered that idea also. I think the pump addition would be better because it's forcing oxygen throughout the soil, but I don't know for sure. I'm an engineer, not a biologist, lol.

Think it would work the same if you just put wider tubes in the soil without the pump?

I think, with wider tubes and no forced air, the tubes would probably fill up with water. Or, the air would stay in the tubes and not go into the soil where the roots could use it.

I think, with wider tubes and no forced air, the tubes would probably fill up with water. Or, the air would stay in the tubes and not go into the soil where the roots could use it.

I agree. It's not only creating the initial presence of oxygen by injecting air, but it's creating a consistent flow of oxygen, not only in the tubes, but throughout the soil.

ah, gotcha. mayyy have to try this..we'll see how my Umbrella fairs with being raised above the saucer. this gonna be fun!

Back
Top Bottom