Plant grow light safe or not? Questions

Dart401

Hi there,
I’ve been changing up my chameleons cage and put some new plants in that do not seem to be getting enough light.
I’ve been reading up on plant grow lights for the plants and wanted to get some input.
I have the correct heat lamp for basking that is 75watts and keeps the temperature at 78°, and a linear T5 HO UVB bulb that’s a 10.0. (All approved by my vet but I’ll post photos of my bulbs as well as theenclosure)
But I’m looking into getting a plant bulb to help the plants grow. I’ve been seeing mixed feelings on them and mixed bulb recommendations.
I know this question has probably been answered before but the results were unclear to me. Also I read that it should be 6500k to be safe for a Cham but I’m not sure what that means.
My questions are:
- Is a plant grow bulb safe for my panther chameleon?
- should it be a long skinny bulb or a regular round bulb?
- What wattage/ what kind?
- Does anyone else use one?
- Does anyone have one that they would recommend?

Thank you In advance for the help and for reading my post! :)

Attachments

• 08D77ABB-378D-4022-940E-8B0805050158.jpeg
    08D77ABB-378D-4022-940E-8B0805050158.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 156
  • DD84F40C-7352-41B5-A5C6-7607F3F8B567.jpeg
    DD84F40C-7352-41B5-A5C6-7607F3F8B567.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 162
  • 1978B344-7D5D-40B5-80F1-01288ADD859D.jpeg
    1978B344-7D5D-40B5-80F1-01288ADD859D.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 168
Hi there,
I’ve been changing up my chameleons cage and put some new plants in that do not seem to be getting enough light.
I’ve been reading up on plant grow lights for the plants and wanted to get some input.
I have the correct heat lamp for basking that is 75watts and keeps the temperature at 78°, and a linear T5 HO UVB bulb that’s a 10.0. (All approved by my vet but I’ll post photos of my bulbs as well as theenclosure)
But I’m looking into getting a plant bulb to help the plants grow. I’ve been seeing mixed feelings on them and mixed bulb recommendations.
I know this question has probably been answered before but the results were unclear to me. Also I read that it should be 6500k to be safe for a Cham but I’m not sure what that means.
My questions are:
- Is a plant grow bulb safe for my panther chameleon?
- should it be a long skinny bulb or a regular round bulb?
- What wattage/ what kind?
- Does anyone else use one?
- Does anyone have one that they would recommend?

Thank you In advance for the help and for reading my post! :)
I have a plant grow bulb and from what i hear it is actually good to have one for certain plants. The light should be okay for your chameleon but I am not sure what wattage is recommended. I got mine off of amazon and mine is a regular bulb. Some get a hanging fixture with the light in it off of amazon too.

I've been looking into getting a double t5ho fixture. I want to add a plant light to one side and the 10.0 to the other.
I am currently using a 75watt plant bulb as my basking and My umbrella plant has gone crazy. So I guess it must be working

My questions are:
  1. - Is a plant grow bulb safe for my panther chameleon?
  2. - should it be a long skinny bulb or a regular round bulb?
  3. - What wattage/ what kind?
  4. - Does anyone else use one?
  5. - Does anyone have one that they would recommend?
what does 6500k mean in lighting

1. Yes.
2., 3. Wrong questions, IMO. In these days of LEDs, wattage doesn't mean what it used to, and I've veered away from fluorescents of any type (except UVB) as all fluorescents contain mercury. LEDs also last 5X as long, so they're more economical in the long run. What's important for plants is full-spectrum white light. Some mfrs. try to do this by combining red & blue, but it's not the same, and if one or a few go out, you haven't got white anymore—you've got a red or blue shift.
4. One what? We use these now: https://www.sansiled.com/led-grow-light.html
I use the rectangular ones in my enclosure, and the single socket type for single houseplants elsewhere.
5. I would recommend the above for the reasons above.

Thank you @Rose:) , @Tinydino , & @Klyde O'Scope for answering!

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this fixture and light?
It’s one I was looking into before you all answered.
It comes with the light bulb and it looks like a relatively good price.
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/t5-uvb-light-fixture.html
I use these... I run 2 for plant lighting with the bulbs that come with it. And then another one for the 6% UVB bulb. They work great.

Fyi just keep in mind with that t5ho 10.0 UVB bulb that it produces higher uvb levels. You will want a full 11-12 inches to the basking branch below it for the correct UVI level at basking.

I use these... I run 2 for plant lighting with the bulbs that come with it. And then another one for the 6% UVB bulb. They work great.

Fyi just keep in mind with that t5ho 10.0 UVB bulb that it produces higher uvb levels. You will want a full 11-12 inches to the basking branch below it for the correct UVI level at basking.

I’m glad to know that you like that light system! I will probably start with just buying one of them for now and see how much everything improves before I buy another!

And yes thank you for the FYI, his basking branch for the UVB bulb is 12 inches from the top. I got the 10.0 because I was recommended it by some others due to how dense my foliage is.

I've been looking into getting a double t5ho fixture. I want to add a plant light to one side and the 10.0 to the other.
I am currently using a 75watt plant bulb as my basking and My umbrella plant has gone crazy. So I guess it must be working

I think a double T5HO fixture might be a good idea and would make the top of the cage less cluttered! I found this one that might be a good option and it’s cheaper than some others that I found.
https://www.reptilebasics.com/t5-light-fixtures/t5-ho-dual-bulb-light-strip-24/

Just keep in mind that a dual fixture with one reflector means you need to adjust distance to basking for the correct UVI level. I would make sure that you get a dual that has individual reflectors for each bulb so they are not sharing and reducing the UVI output. Then distance can be kept the same.

Just keep in mind that a dual fixture with one reflector means you need to adjust distance to basking for the correct UVI level. I would make sure that you get a dual that has individual reflectors for each bulb so they are not sharing and reducing the UVI output. Then distance can be kept the same.
This is the one I have been looking at.
It appears to have separate reflectors

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201128-163201_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20201128-163201_Samsung Internet.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 140
Those are really great fixtures as well. You will see some changes in your temps on basking level. So adjust your basking fixture to accommodate the higher temps.
Good to know. I'm currently running a reptisun fixture and a 75 watt argo pro for basking.
If need be I can drop back down to the "summer" 65watts.
I'm actually looking to upgrade the dome im using too.
I want one that i can hang over the enclosure.
The one I have now is lifted an inch with metal jar lids to get the temps I was aiming for.
It works. But its not organized. I want things to look cleaner

Wow thank you for the great insight! I think when I go to buy it I will be buying the:

VIVOSUN 6500K 2FT T5 HO Fluorescent Grow Light Fixture for Indoor Plants, UL Listed High Output Fluorescent Tubes, 2 Lamps https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RTVD1HJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_n.UWFb9PG4MXZ

That was suggested, and I’ll have one be the UVB bulb and the other the grow light!

Thank you all for the help and clarification!!
@Tinydino and @Beman
Your post cleared up some of my questions as well. ?
I just ordered mine. Can't beat the sale price

Thank you @Rose:) , @Tinydino , & @Klyde O'Scope for answering!

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this fixture and light?
It’s one I was looking into before you all answered.
It comes with the light bulb and it looks like a relatively good price.
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/t5-uvb-light-fixture.html
It's the same fixture sold under many brands/names, mfd. by Shenzen in China.
https://www.docdroid.net/rzaxveu/an-issue-with-sunblaster-t5-ho-reflectors-pdf#page=7
For UVB, it's fine. For plant lights, I don't see the point: the bulbs contain mercury, don't last as long as LEDs, don't have the same penetration as LEDs, and in the long run cost considerably more than LED plant lights.

It's the same fixture sold under many brands/names, mfd. by Shenzen in China.
https://www.docdroid.net/rzaxveu/an-issue-with-sunblaster-t5-ho-reflectors-pdf#page=7
For UVB, it's fine. For plant lights, I don't see the point: the bulbs contain mercury, don't last as long as LEDs, don't have the same penetration as LEDs, and in the long run cost considerably more than LED plant lights.

I’m more looking into the housing, I could always get a better bulb to go next to the UVB down the road to put in for the plants.

Since it’s a bit pricy I was thinking for short term getting this bulb for now that I read on a form that someone recommended.

Exo Terra Repti-Glo 2.0 Compact Fluorescent Full Spectrum Terrarium Lamp, 13-Watt (Natural Light) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00101JIA6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_460WFb96Y3K4E?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I’m still looking in to different ones though to see what’s the best for the money and quality.

Back
Top Bottom