Plant Food

Kodos2150

Is it safe to fertilize plants in my chameleon enclosure so they can grow and be more plentiful in size? I have the soil covered with rocks and there will be no way my chameleon could come in contact with the fertilizer itself. What fertilizer would you all recommend that the plant would not pass on to my chameleon?

I dont recommend fertilizing, but if you feel you must, try a liquid organic. Neptune's Harvest makes a nice sea weed fretilizer.

Fish poo! Seriously!

Do you know anyone with a fish tank? Ask them to give you a jug of fish tank water next time they vacuum it out! I use fish tank water (after you stir it around when cleaning and all the gross stuff is floating in the water) to feed my plants and it works GREAT, is organic, and doesn't have to be diluted or anything as it will not burn plants..also, I use it in my garden I stick the hose of the tank vacuum out the window as I vacuum the tank and it just drains out into the garden and does it's wonders!!

Or you could use good old "worm tea”, I think some sell it on e bay as well. It stinks to high heaven for the first day then dissipates. I only know this because we had a red wiggler worm farm! (its really worm pee):):eek:

No worm tea No fish poo! You would be giving the plants parasite infested water! If your chams ingest the soil, they would have a good chance getting bad bugs or whatever. Both worms and fish carry fair to heavy parasite loads. Again use a organic plant based fert.

ooh James I didn't think of this..

What about if there is no way for them to ingest the soil? In all my plants I have a circle of newspaper on top of the soil and some rocks on top of that. Safe or still a no go? I also cup feed so the feeders do not come in contact with plant basins either... can parasites transfer through the plant if Chams eat the leaves?

Not if they eat the leaves, but theres no reason to risk it. Rocks or no rocks theres still a chance. Its easy to replace a plant. Its hard to replace a pet....... Fish water is great for plants, just not for potted plants in an animal enclosure. I pour the old water from my turtle, newt, fish and frog tanks in all my gardens. Plants do love it!

Back
Top Bottom