Plant density

Amanda1801

Is it possible to have too many plants?

I've got the XL reptibreeze and have a ficus in one corner from bottom to top, but its got a bit thin through losing leaves and being eaten, so I've bought a second, and was going to swap them over to let the other recover a bit...

I was wondering, this one is shorter, about 3ft, the other is 4ft, of maybe just adding the second one in as well as the first - is there such thing as too many plants/leaves?

Only if it interferes with their ability to hunt or bask. Other than that, I don't really think there can be too much vegetation.

Great! It's going to be in the other corner of his cage anyway, so will just serve to provide him with more cover when he sleeps which can't be anything but advantageous to him. I'll let Freddie the ficus recover a bit, and then end up with both in there! (new ficus is a pretty little varigated one - called Francis - I need to get a life....)

I know sometimes the ficus sap can be irritating so if he's eating a lot of it you might want to consider some other plant options so he doesn't have any problems down the road. You could come up with some great names for a schefflera. ;)

I know sometimes the ficus sap can be irritating so if he's eating a lot of it you might want to consider some other plant options so he doesn't have any problems down the road. You could come up with some great names for a schefflera. ;)

lol he's only just started eating it - but for every tiny nibble he takes, 4 leaves fall off :p

I'll look into what plants I can get - is the shuffle-plant (yeah, I can't spell it!) an indoor or outdoor plant? Just wondering where I could find somewhere that sells them locally....

too many plants can make it hard/impossible to find all the poop. which can create problems, especially if you free range feeders.

Most stores with a garden section (even grocery stores) have schefflera - just make sure it's arboricola species. It's also known as an umbrella plant. I tended to overwater mine. Pothos plants are super easy to maintain and very bushy, but as a vine you might need to hang it from your cage. Hibiscus works for some people, but they really need natural sunlight so if you can alternate one inside and one outside they can last well. Those are the big 3 non-toxic plants I know of.

too many plants can make it hard/impossible to find all the poop. which can create problems, especially if you free range feeders.

He always poops right infront of the screen door, so it falls nicely on the newspaper right at the front of the cage :D Hes been in that cage since November now, and I havent found any anywhere else!

Back
Top Bottom