Plant concern

Paigesss1296

I put a regular house plant that's a vine In my female veiled cage. I don't know what the plant is called but she ate part of the leaf today and she had been hanging around by the dirt and pot of the plant. She's only 4 months old so I didn't think she'd be laying eggs yet but I'm concerned please help!

You need to know what the plant is. Many common household plants are toxic to animals...and many aren't. Can you post some clear photos and maybe someone can help identify the plant?

Is the dirt in the top of the plant exposed? It might be good to cover it with either larger stones (bigger than your cham's head) or something else to restrict access to the dirt. I have read people say that their veileds will eat dirt if they can. No one really knows why - it might be a survival instinct related to necessary dietary minerals.

Do you have a laying bin for her just in case? Probably not a bad idea so she will be used to having it in her enclosure for when she does need it.

I'm pretty sure I just posted a picture of it. I'm not really sure how but I tried.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 165
That looks like a pothos, but it could be a variety of philodendron. Both are very common house plants.

I've seen golden pothos and some sort of philodendron side-by-side at a garden center, and I am not sure I could have told them apart. The "fleckiness" of the yellow makes me think pothos... Philodendrons are toxic to dogs, cats, and kids, causing inflammation of the mouth, so would probably not be good to have with a plant-eating cham.

Anyone else have any insight based on the photo?

It's never really that hot in her cage I live in a basement with a screen cage so it's usually on the cooler side she doesn't seem to mind it though

Back
Top Bottom