Plant Bulb Help!!!

@chris

I went to Home Depot today and bought two bulbs because I didn’t know which would be good for plant growth/be safe for my pardalis. I tried looking for a 6500k bulb but they didn’t have any that weren’t 48 inches. so i ended up with these. Can someone help me figure out which ones are good or if I need to go back to home depot

I went to Home Depot today and bought two bulbs because I didn’t know which would be good for plant growth/be safe for my pardalis. I tried looking for a 6500k bulb but they didn’t have any that weren’t 48 inches. so i ended up with these. Can someone help me figure out which ones are good or if I need to go back to home depot
Could you post the pictures, please?

Attachments

• F3B55A70-B9A8-478E-8267-61A8759EB8E5.jpeg
    F3B55A70-B9A8-478E-8267-61A8759EB8E5.jpeg
    270.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 2A30AE4C-4B02-4FD3-9CC3-BCB3A419F3AA.jpeg
    2A30AE4C-4B02-4FD3-9CC3-BCB3A419F3AA.jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 109
You cannot judge how good a bulb is for plants based on how bright it is.... You could put a blindingly bright basking light over a plant and it would not benefit at all. Different bulbs produce different spectra of light and different plants thrive better with particular wavelengths. So the 5000K light you have is not the same thing as the recommended 6500K for plant maintenance indoors. If I were you, I would just buy a 6500K bulb on amazon or a similar website that is the size you want

You cannot judge how good a bulb is for plants based on how bright it is.... You could put a blindingly bright basking light over a plant and it would not benefit at all. Different bulbs produce different spectra of light and different plants thrive better with particular wavelengths. So the 5000K light you have is not the same thing as the recommended 6500K for plant maintenance indoors. If I were you, I would just buy a 6500K bulb on amazon or a similar website that is the size you want
Thanks for clarifying!

I found on at home depot but i couldn’t find a fixture for it to fit in. i fount a t8 fluorescent 6500k bulb. I’m going to just get a mature sun 2.0 I think. Brianna Kammer uses it for some of her chameleons so I might try it out

I'm not getting notifications again, sorry for the delay. Those are philips bulbs right? The aquarium bulb will be similar to a rosette bulb in other brands. I can't find the spd chart for it atm but it should be pretty heavy on the red end of the spectrum. Without seeing the spd chart for the 5000k, it will be heavier on the blue with a "fair" bit of the rest of the spectrum typically. Not going to hurt anything running it verse a 6500k.

@chris one question I have that hasn't been asked that I see is, what plants are you actually using/ growing? Depending on what you're growing the 2700k (aquarium bulb) may be warranted/ needed. That being said, you're not going to get decent penetration into the cage with those t8's.

I'm not getting notifications again, sorry for the delay. Those are philips bulbs right? The aquarium bulb will be similar to a rosette bulb in other brands. I can't find the spd chart for it atm but it should be pretty heavy on the red end of the spectrum. Without seeing the spd chart for the 5000k, it will be heavier on the blue with a "fair" bit of the rest of the spectrum typically. Not going to hurt anything running it verse a 6500k.

@chris one question I have that hasn't been asked that I see is, what plants are you actually using/ growing? Depending on what you're growing the 2700k (aquarium bulb) may be warranted/ needed. That being said, you're not going to get decent penetration into the cage with those t8's.
I have some pothos and bromeliads in my cage. A few of these plants have died since this picture was taken a couple of weeks ago. I upgraded my chams cage to a 2x2x4 and my old t5 ho uvb bulb and basking bulb is definitely not good enough light for my plants and for my chameleon i’m guessing either. I think i’m just going to get a quad fixture from arcadia. I consulted with Todd from lightyourreptiles.com and he recommended it but I just wanted a substitute till I saved up for the quad.

Attachments

• 7CDF27FF-B912-4D8B-8A99-6E229FFF9DAA.jpeg
    7CDF27FF-B912-4D8B-8A99-6E229FFF9DAA.jpeg
    409.6 KB · Views: 112
I have some pothos and bromeliads in my cage. A few of these plants have died since this picture was taken a couple of weeks ago. I upgraded my chams cage to a 2x2x4 and my old t5 ho uvb bulb and basking bulb is definitely not good enough light for my plants and for my chameleon i’m guessing either. I think i’m just going to get a quad fixture from arcadia. I consulted with Todd from lightyourreptiles.com and he recommended it but I just wanted a substitute till I saved up for the quad.
A good way to think of things is that the UVB & basking are for your cham, while the 6500 and other spectrum lights are for your plants. Depending on what plants you have determines what spectrum of plant lights you need, which is why @dshuld was asking about the types of plants. If you have only had a UVB & heat bulb, your plants have not been getting the light type they are needing & one reason they are dying (there may be other reasons too).

If you want a cheapish solution that will give you far more penetration look at the 6500k led pool bulbs on amazon. Pothos isn't horribly light demanding but the broms are. Check @celeste_knitter thread for a pic of two of them on her 2x2x4. The bulbs are $30 each, dome is $8ish at hd.

If you want a quad fixture look at the sunblaze 24. The reflector on them is light years ahead of the odyssea fixture (lyr fixture is a rebrand of it). The sunblaze comes loaded with 6500k bulbs so all you'd need is the uv bulb. I want to say it's around $78 for the 24 last I looked.

A good way to think of things is that the UVB & basking are for your cham, while the 6500 and other spectrum lights are for your plants. Depending on what plants you have determines what spectrum of plant lights you need, which is why @dshuld was asking about the types of plants. If you have only had a UVB & heat bulb, your plants have not been getting the light type they are needing & one reason they are dying (there may be other reasons too).
sooo, would a quad fixture from arcadia be good? It has a plant growth bulb 6500k, a 12% uvb
If you want a cheapish solution that will give you far more penetration look at the 6500k led pool bulbs on amazon. Pothos isn't horribly light demanding but the broms are. Check @celeste_knitter thread for a pic of two of them on her 2x2x4. The bulbs are $30 each, dome is $8ish at hd.

If you want a quad fixture look at the sunblaze 24. The reflector on them is light years ahead of the odyssea fixture (lyr fixture is a rebrand of it). The sunblaze comes loaded with 6500k bulbs so all you'd need is the uv bulb. I want to say it's around $78 for the 24 last I looked.
thanks! I will look into them

Back
Top Bottom