Plant Arrangement Help

Kaianuanu

So, i have my new darling baby boy. He is a 3 month old true blue nosy be of spectacular bloodlines. Anyway, he is now in a small Zilla screen cage that the breeder gave me for free. In about a month or two, he should be ready for my custom built 3' x 2' x 4' cage. I have bought a few plants for it. But, I need help figuring out the best way to arrange them. I have already put in some bamboo perches that i can move too. But, I have 2 English Ivy, 1 Pothos, 1 Ficus, and 1 Schefflera. Also, i have seen stuff about prepping the plants but it has all been vague, could you guys give me some more specific info on re-potting and washing??? Below are pics of everything.

All the plants on the cage.
P4220325.jpg

The big english ivy, the small english ivy, and pothos.
P4220327.jpg

The Ficus and Schefflera.
P4220329.jpg

Hopefully he'll be pleased with my work!
P4160300.jpg

Here is an example of how I used the hanging pothos. You can't really see the planter very well after it grew out. I used a wood braced across the top and a large screw eye to hang it from and used some althread to attach some grapevine. I just put the sheffrella in the bottom.

Last edited:
Think like a Chameleon :D and how you would want to live. I suggest that the bushy plants be on the bottom with the highways and vines in the upper half. The ivy can be attached to the vines. My panther did not like a lot of plant stuff on his highways, he got frustrated trying to get around them. ;) You could also try to attach the ivy runners on the side of the viv.

look at the blue on 'em. atta boy! sorry i get distracted when i see cham pics and i really have no advice for planting your enclosure--i'd just throw all the sitting pots on the bottom and hang the pothos..but that's not very constructive...

look at the blue on 'em. atta boy! sorry i get distracted when i see cham pics and i really have no advice for planting your enclosure--i'd just throw all the sitting pots on the bottom and hang the pothos..but that's not very constructive...

i guess i might just do that, hang the ivy and pothos and put the scheff. and ficus on stands and put something on the ground for him to get back on the pots by. And you think thats blue? Look at my avatar, that's his pops. and the pic below was sent to me by the breeder before i picked him up, it was taken about 2 weeks ago making him 2.5 months old when taken. his sisters in the background.

Nosybebabypic200.jpg

Ivy, English Ivy? Nope.

If you're keeping a Panther, I would skip the English Ivy all together. Not safe. Pothos all the way.

It doesn't look like you have enough light for a hibiscus, so skip that.

Your other plants look small, but OK.

Preparation should include washing the plant leaves with a mild soap; I use Safer's insecticidal soap. Once they're soaped up, I wipe with a soft cloth, and then rinse. If there is any trace of greenhouse spray residue or other water spots after this, I repeat.

The plants then go into their larger pots with some new soil. I cover the soil with nylon window screen made to cover the entire surface, and tuck the ends into the edges of the pot. I block the surface of the covered soil with large rocks. I water well with a mild dose of fertilizer to settle the soil. Once the water has drained out, the are cage-ready.

You can use zip-ties or cable-ties to attach vines to their desired locations; you can get more arty, and use mono-filament fishing line if you're good with knots. Nick Barta had a good method here.

Cheers.

is english ivy safe for other species??? Im just wondering why i thought it was safe, im pretty sure i did research on it??? Also, where cin i get that soap??? Insectisidal, does that mean it will kill crickets in the enclosure? Also, i still havent seen the blue exhibited it the photo taken by the breeder, and tomorrow marks my 1st week of owning him. That blue color is supposed to be his "true color". Is there a way i can invoke the color? Also, i take him out for about 45 minutes of outdoor natural basking, is this too much stress causing him to show drab colors???

Back
Top Bottom