Planning on breeding crickets and starting a roach colony...

Ferrah88

..but there are a few questions I'd like to answer!

I'm going to be using large plastic bins with a hole in the top and screen covering the large hole, as I have seen here on the forums. Is this enough ventilation?

I read about needing a heating mat or something to heat the boxes. I was planning on using generic lizard heating mats, as I have read that these will suffice. Would both containers need one, or just the roaches?

Would I need any sort of substrate for egg laying? (Not sure about roaches, but the crickets might need it....?) If so, what kinds are recommended?

If I can't get my hands on any large egg cartons, what other hiding medium can I use for them?

If I feed purely dry gutload and fresh fruits and veggies, will I need water crystals? (I would prefer avoiding their use at all costs, but if it can't be helped, then it can't be helped!)

Apart from that, everything else should be self explanatory I think... I just have no idea how to raise crickets and roaches at all :( I keep crickets now, but they haven't bred yet as far as I know!

Hey,

People usually cut a hole on top, and one on the side to allow a nice air flow.

Usually both require a 90degree matt on one side of the container.
For crickets, I've seen plenty of people use slightly damp soil.
Crickets will lay there eggs in it, and then 2-3 weeks later you will see small things moving around. When that happens you have to seperate them from the soil, before it gets to toxic from all the poops they drop.

Egg crates are recommended, I have friends and family usually hold onto there’s and that's how I stock pile! Lol. You can also try going to a local restaurant and ask them to save them for you.
You can also use cardboard rolls and what not.

If you feed fresh fruits and veggies you won't have to use water crystals. That will provide proper hydration.

Hey,

People usually cut a hole on top, and one on the side to allow a nice air flow.

Usually both require a 90degree matt on one side of the container.
For crickets, I've seen plenty of people use slightly damp soil.
Crickets will lay there eggs in it, and then 2-3 weeks later you will see small things moving around. When that happens you have to seperate them from the soil, before it gets to toxic from all the poops they drop.

Egg crates are recommended, I have friends and family usually hold onto there’s and that's how I stock pile! Lol. You can also try going to a local restaurant and ask them to save them for you.
You can also use cardboard rolls and what not.

If you feed fresh fruits and veggies you won't have to use water crystals. That will provide proper hydration.

Alright, so a hole in the side too (I wasn't 100% sure on that, but I inda figured). I suppose it's good for them to be able to climb too. Airflow is always good as well!

How would one go about separating the baby crickets from the soil? Seems like something so small would be really hard to remove from soil. I suppose having a separate bin that I throw some adults into, leave them there for a few days, and then remove them (the bigger container not having any soil) would be better? I'd probably still have to separate them though I suppose...

Thanks for the help so far! :D I will have to buy egg cartons. I asked the local supermarket if I could have some, and they only allowed me one small one. They recycle them for the local farmer eggs, so I can't get any. I did find somewhere to buy them though (Thanks to ebay!).

Yeah, crickets start to smell without proper ventilation.

The crickets will only lay eggs on substrate.
Just don't make the soil too deep, so this way they will be able to walk out and munch on some food.

Your welcome.

Back
Top Bottom