Pixie has worms :(

Miss Lily

Chameleon Enthusiast
Sooo, it turns out that Pixie has worms, bless her. A few weeks back I saw what looked like a tiny white worm on her poop. I've been keeping an eye on subsequent poop and all has been good until yesterday when I found another worm on her poop. Said poop was quickly bagged up and taken to the vets this afternoon for testing. A couple of hours later the reptile vet phoned me to say she is loaded with eggs. So, tomorrow I shall be dropping in at the surgery to collect some Panacur for her. My poor baby girl. I thought that having worms meant an increased appetite, but she doesn't eat a lot really. When the crested geckos had worms they barely ate anything.

th.jpeg

I am sure that Pixie will get over it in a heart beat! (y) With respect to appetite changes, often animals will have no change at all, although sometimes mammals with very high worms burdens will actually experience a decrease in appetite. I would imagine the principle extends to reptiles as well.

Thanks for all the messages guys! She pooped again this morning and I was able to catch it on a tissue as she did it. Another worm was on there but this time was still alive! I have taken videos and pictures which I will upload later. A little gross, but maybe I can help someone somewhere.

I've been keeping chams since 2008 and it's the first time I have dealt with worms.

Parasites are pretty common at least here in the US in the warmer climate. Did the vet say what kind of worms? If he's using panacur my first guess would be pinworms, second guess hookworms and they are both very east to get rid of with the panacur. Pixie should be fine in no time.

Parasites are pretty common at least here in the US in the warmer climate. Did the vet say what kind of worms? If he's using panacur my first guess would be pinworms, second guess hookworms and they are both very east to get rid of with the panacur. Pixie should be fine in no time.
Thanks! Unfortunately he didn't say what kind, just that she was loaded with eggs in that one poop sample. I have pics that I'll post later, in one you can zoom in and see the insides of the worm! Gross! Even got a video of it as it was still moving! Ugh! Anyway, she has had her first dose injected into a locust with next dose due in 2 weeks following by a poop test again a week after that. I didn't want to freak her out by holding her and forcing her mouth open as she's still quite new! Luckily I had some unused needles in my stash of cham stuff that he had given me before.

Last edited:
That look like some pinworms to me,they can lay lots eggs inside the intestine.
They also hate The home remedies like garlic n apple cider vinegar.

That look like some pinworms to me,they can lay lots eggs inside the intestine.
They also hate The home remedies like garlic n apple cider vinegar.
How would you administer those things? Presumably a chameleon would hate the taste if either of those things.

Back
Top Bottom