Pitcher plant "fertilization"...

Hashtag ChamLife

Avid Member
For all you plant folk out there...

I know its said that you aren't supposed to fertilize them, but I'm wondering if I can artificially "naturally" fertilize them. What I mean, is can I throw death crickets, hawkmoths, roaches, etc. into the pitchers to give it food? More over, should I? These are bigger than a typical nat or whatever that would end up in the pitcher... but I have some that have grown rather large.

I've checked them here and there and havent really noticed anything in their fluid. Obviously, it seems to be doing alright... but I have plenty of dead bugs that shouldn't go to waste.

15769704766334502641410743837170.jpg 157697050014150113344118173914.jpg

Wow! Those pitchers are huge! I wouldn't their dead bugs into them, because they need the similar of the big inside trying to escape to release their digestive enzymes. Also, something to watch for is that your cham doesn't accidentally fall into one of the pitchers. Those plants will eat chams in the wild!

Wow! Those pitchers are huge! I wouldn't their dead bugs into them, because they need the similar of the big inside trying to escape to release their digestive enzymes. Also, something to watch for is that your cham doesn't accidentally fall into one of the pitchers. Those plants will eat chams in the wild!
While my chams do "free range" on my patio, the plant is hanging from the ceiling and pretty inaccessible to the chams.

I've also heard this theory of chams being eaten, though I've never heard proof... not to say its untrue, I just find it hard to believe. Chams are extraordinary climbers, would think they wouldn't "fall" into them. If they "climbed" into them, like usual their tail would be mounted on something outside.

Again, not saying it's not true... I can totally see one going head first after an insect and drowning. I've just not heard direct evidence from a reputable source.

Regardless, I have a much much smaller one that goes in my cham room... the big guy lives on the porch.
1576971597089641511416236615942.jpg

[Great thing about Florida is we're pretty "tropical". My porch is my nursery]

Btw those pitchers are beautiful. Jealous of you floridians!
yea, those bigger pitchers are well over 12" long, 2" around... but we have some pretty big bugs, lol.

I take no credit though... I just leave it all outside and hope for the best!

I know! Me too! I can't keep those things alive! It's too dry where I live. I had one that looked just like that one, but it didn't survive.
LOTS and LOTS of water. I keep them hidden from direct sun on the porch and water 2x daily, more in the summer. They get a few hours of morning and evening sun, but the rest is indirect. Plus these hibiscus are growing like crazy, makes a great environment for all my orchids... the bromeliads are overflowing to just outside the porch for lots of sun...
15769769268226195016402641075939.jpg

Just had to bump it up to the biggest basket I could find. Each of the big ones has 3 pups [about ready to bloom] and the fireball has 2 pups that are as tall as the mother. I won't be trying to divide these i don't think, if I do it'll be after they bloom. (Didn't turn out well for me last go round]

This is for those who say pitcher plants eat chams...

15778914469258612238801814298332.jpg

While frogs are not chameleons, it does provoke some thought. At first I was thinking the frog was stupid. My second thought was how brilliant! The whole appeal of the pitcher plant is to ATTRACT BUGS. That frog will never hunt a day in its life!

The frog is very much alive and that particular pitcher is now dead and pruned.

Back
Top Bottom