Pinworms & disinfection

Norbert

Hey everyone, I got the fecal test results back from my vet visit and they were positive for pinworms. I missed the call and am calling back tomorrow morning so I don’t know how severe it is yet. My chameleons appetite hasn’t changed at all, he’s always been a big eater. His droppings look normal nothing weird I can visually see, so I’m hoping it’s not too bad.
I was just wondering how do I go about sanitizing the enclosure and plants. And do I sanitize before or after treatment? I don’t know where he would have gotten them, if he had them since he arrived or got them from feeders or from something else. Is it something feeders arrive with or something I did with their care? Also do I need to throw out the feeders I have just in case? I have some ordered, but they won’t be here until Friday.
Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure they don’t reoccur. Anything else I didn’t ask about that is important to note, please let me know!

Beman

Chameleon Enthusiast
Beman had pinworms when he was young. Came in with feeders (he had a fecal prior and was clean) and I am 99% sure it was the store bought dubia I got when I ran out. This is the easier one to treat for and kill off. So that is wonderful. Beman never stopped eating with them or with treatment.

I pulled all plants and with warm water just rinsed them all really well. Easier if you put them in the tub and aim the shower at them. Then for the enclosure I cleaned off all the branches with a a bit of soapy warm water and rinsed them really well. Same with the bottom of the cage. I did kill off all the dubia... Gave him the oral meds and never had an issue again. But I was spot cleaning like crazy through treatment.

Of course plants were my reinfection risk from fecal matter since Beman is a Veiled. Yours with a Panther will be him licking branches.

Norbert

Thank you so much! I was expecting something more intense like throwing everything inside the cage out, so I’m glad to hear that it can be cleaned. The only thing I’m thinking is I also ran out of feeders once early on when I was figuring out how much he eats weekly. I had to buy one days worth of pinheads from a local store while I waited for my shipment of dubias. This is the only time I bought from a pet store and was nervous doing it, I guess for good reason. I won’t have new feeders till Friday should I keep the ones I have (ordered from Dubiaroaches.com) until the new ones come in then toss them? Or should I just get rid of them right away and buy locally again? I don’t know the best option since I don’t know which one caused it...

Beman

Chameleon Enthusiast
Thank you so much! I was expecting something more intense like throwing everything inside the cage out, so I’m glad to hear that it can be cleaned. The only thing I’m thinking is I also ran out of feeders once early on when I was figuring out how much he eats weekly. I had to buy one days worth of pinheads from a local store while I waited for my shipment of dubias. This is the only time I bought from a pet store and was nervous doing it, I guess for good reason. I won’t have new feeders till Friday should I keep the ones I have (ordered from Dubiaroaches.com) until the new ones come in then toss them? Or should I just get rid of them right away and buy locally again? I don’t know the best option since I don’t know which one caused it...

If you think it was due to the crickets you bought a while back and these dubia are from dubia roaches as well you should be fine to keep them. I will not buy local because they have no checks and balances. Often they keep them dirty.
I know for a fact that dubia roaches does random tests on theirs to ensure there are not parasite issues. And I have not had any issue with them in the 2 years I have ordered from them.

Pins are not bad at all just a hassle to clean. But your not needing to clean with harsh chemicals like you do with coccidia.

Just think of it like spring cleaning for his cage. lol

Norbert

Okay I feel much better about the cleaning now thank you again! I think the pinheads were most likely it since I was nervous buying them in the first place.
Luckily I took the opportunity of him being out of the cage during the vet visit and sprayed down everything with alcohol and let it dry while we were gone. And I always get his droppings right away cause he goes like clockwork same time every day. But, I will probably repot my plants and give everything another wash. 😊👍🏼

Norbert

If you think it was due to the crickets you bought a while back and these dubia are from dubia roaches as well you should be fine to keep them. I will not buy local because they have no checks and balances. Often they keep them dirty.
I know for a fact that dubia roaches does random tests on theirs to ensure there are not parasite issues. And I have not had any issue with them in the 2 years I have ordered from them.

Pins are not bad at all just a hassle to clean. But your not needing to clean with harsh chemicals like you do with coccidia.

Just think of it like spring cleaning for his cage. lol
Update: the vet said there was a super low count so he wasn’t going to treat it. He said to just keep an eye on him and make sure there are no signs of stress and bring another sample in 6 months. Does this sound accurate to not treat it?

Beman

Chameleon Enthusiast
Update: the vet said there was a super low count so he wasn’t going to treat it. He said to just keep an eye on him and make sure there are no signs of stress and bring another sample in 6 months. Does this sound accurate to not treat it?
My vet does the same thing, does not treat if it is a low count. Because meds can sometimes be harder on them then the actual parasite. And pins are not a huge deal compared to others. Personally I would take in another sample in a month or two rather then 6 months. Just to ensure that it does not go into crazy production.

Norbert

My vet does the same thing, does not treat if it is a low count. Because meds can sometimes be harder on them then the actual parasite. And pins are not a huge deal compared to others. Personally I would take in another sample in a month or two rather then 6 months. Just to ensure that it does not go into crazy production.
Sounds good thank you!

Top Bottom