Pinkwings food?

cyberlocc

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hey guys I was looking for your results of pink wings food!

I know about the typical Rose, Bramble, Privet, ect, that all the care sheets mention (they seem to be all the same copy pasta).

I want to know what else people have tried. I want to plant food in their Viv, when I get a new colony going end of this month.

I have read they don't eat Ivy, and also that they do, has anyone tried? If you had luck what kind of Ivy. Food is scare where I live and very limited. Bramble doesn't grow here very well, and even if it did, it would be for a couple of months tops. I live high in the mountains, it's cold 7-8 months out of the year and then super hot.

We have oak, and I have roses in the yard, that's about it :(. Oh and Ivy, Ivy all over our property, we couldn't kill it if we tried (we have in some places)

Have you asked Nick over at FullThrottle? He's very open with his caresheets, and breeds pink wings. @nick barta

I know @snitz427 has been caring for some pink wings as well. @jamest0o0, have you worked with pink wings?

I did.

He said he wasn't sure, and he didn't think that they will munch anything that they do not have the ability to distinguish what is food. (I don't really understand that, but I know he is a busy man so didnt ask lol)

Huh! Well, hopefully the others will have change to chime in at some point! I don'r have any experience with stick insects, so I'm largely useless besides tagging people hah! I guess you can try separating a small group of pink wings and see if they'll eat other things. :unsure:

This is a good question, I've wondered about it too since all I currently have is raspberry and oak for feeding my D. Gigantea. Someone i talked to brought up the point that a lot of them feed on completely different things in the wild, for example they showed a picture of a d gigantea stick eating what looked to be juniper in Grenada. I've also heard of people growing... I think it was, alfalfa sprouts, but I can't remember. Some species are more easy going with food than others.

Wish I had more to offer

I feed mine WHITE oak and raspberry. I tried red oak once and a few died ... could have been totally coincidental or some residue on the leaves... but I stick to white oak now.

If they’ll he feeders for a cham then do not use Ivy as it makes them toxic.

For winter you can supposedly keep leaves in the crisper/freezer but I didnt have good results with that. My plan will be to collect a ton of acorns and plant them in an indoor window. When the plants grow to a few inches tall (about a month) you have fresh food for the winter!

If they’ll he feeders for a cham then do not use Ivy as it makes them toxic.

I thought this as well for a long time. However Nick set it straight in a thread for me awhile back.

He said he has them eat Ivy, with no negative results to the sticks or Chams. I know people say that ivy is toxic to reptiles, however the stick processes it different as far as I understand it. I'll find the post later.

I haven't looked into it, but I guess it depends what it is that makes ivy considered toxic?

Freezing oak and raspberry worked great for me through the winter. I understand sticks like pink wings don't eat that much, so sprouting something as @snitz427 mentioned could work well, but I could never do that for the large d gigantea. 5 of them will go through several large branches of leaves in about two weeks lol.

Yea it wont work with your monsters! Mine just nimble to keep their girly figures.

I cant say for all ivy, but for some I believe its the oxalates (like pothos). They cause a reaction of sorts that can affect mineral absorption among other things. It may never cause an issue, or it could be a slow or small reaction that you dont see right away. Like aspartame. Its delicious and I drink lots of it and feel totally fine! But in a few years I probably won’t remember where I live and my pee will be purple!

While each plant is different, the “toxicity” of one might vary greatly from another related plant. I’m pretty cautious when it comes to what I feed the chams. Oak is easy enough to find near me so I stick with that.

I thought this as well for a long time. However Nick set it straight in a thread for me awhile back.

He said he has them eat Ivy, with no negative results to the sticks or Chams. I know people say that ivy is toxic to reptiles, however the stick processes it different as far as I understand it. I'll find the post later.

That's really interesting! I was juust about to ask if ivy-gutloaded sticks are safe for chameleons. I have a colony of indian sticks, which don't eat ivy, but I've always wondered. I have a hard time feeding them off, though! They're just so dang cool

Nick seems to think it's okay.

That's really interesting! I was juust about to ask if ivy-gutloaded sticks are safe for chameleons. I have a colony of indian sticks, which don't eat ivy, but I've always wondered. I have a hard time feeding them off, though! They're just so dang cool

Also, I can't really find reasons of Ivy being toxic to reptiles, and they are Not toxic to birds, it is toxic to humans however. I think people might just say it's toxic to herps because it's toxic to humans dogs and cats, not to birds though.

Then we have that link saying Oak is toxic and I give up lol :p.

So to update, I asked here, Nick and on a stick group on Fbook. No luck.

So the plan, I am just going to use a bunch of various Terrarium plants, for decor, and see if they eat any of it :). That will be cool anyway, bunch of plants I like, that I didn't use in my big Cham Naturalistic Viv, as to limiting myself to plants Panthers would encounter in the wild only.

Yea it wont work with your monsters! Mine just nimble to keep their girly figures.

I cant say for all ivy, but for some I believe its the oxalates (like pothos). They cause a reaction of sorts that can affect mineral absorption among other things. It may never cause an issue, or it could be a slow or small reaction that you dont see right away. Like aspartame. Its delicious and I drink lots of it and feel totally fine! But in a few years I probably won’t remember where I live and my pee will be purple!

While each plant is different, the “toxicity” of one might vary greatly from another related plant. I’m pretty cautious when it comes to what I feed the chams. Oak is easy enough to find near me so I stick with that.

Yup same thing I've been saying about pothos. There's a chance they're causing a slow burn in veileds over time because that's how seem to work.

Nick seems to think it's okay.

Also, I can't really find reasons of Ivy being toxic to reptiles, and they are Not toxic to birds, it is toxic to humans however. I think people might just say it's toxic to herps because it's toxic to humans dogs and cats, not to birds though.

Then we have that link saying Oak is toxic and I give up lol :p.

Is it the tannins maybe in oak that they're saying are toxic? I hear a lot of back and forth about them.

Either way, good luck with your sticks. Let us know if you find something different that they start to eat.

Yup same thing I've been saying about pothos. There's a chance they're causing a slow burn in veileds over time because that's how seem to work.

Well pothos is an oxalate heavy plant. That is toxic to reptiles, and Insects. There is also oxaltes in alot of what we feed, and what we eat, most greens have oxaltes in them, and lots of fruits. However pothos has ALOT.

In the case of Ivy, it's Toxic to mammals, there is some chemicals in the Sap that are toxic to humans, dogs, cats, cows ect. However those same Chemicals are not toxic to birds, with reptiles afaik, we use Birds as the best example of toxicity.

I think with the case of Ivy, it's being deemed toxic just because it's toxic to us, and so its marked as possible and not worth the risk.

Like I said the odd part, is the plant list I linked earlier does not show Ivy as Toxic to reptiles, however it does show Oak as toxic. I believe it's the tannins that are said to be toxic.

Edit:

Is it the tannins maybe in oak that they're saying are toxic? I hear a lot of back and forth about them.

Either way, good luck with your sticks. Let us know if you find something different that they start to eat.

Yep I was typing that as you did lol.

Well pothos is an oxalate heavy plant. That is toxic to reptiles, and Insects. There is also oxaltes in alot of what we feed, and what we eat, most greens have oxaltes in them, and lots of fruits. However pothos has ALOT.

In the case of Ivy, it's Toxic to mammals, there is some chemicals in the Sap that are toxic to humans, dogs, cats, cows ect. However those same Chemicals are not toxic to birds, with reptiles afaik, we use Birds as the best example of toxicity.

I think with the case of Ivy, it's being deemed toxic just because it's toxic to us, and so its marked as possible and not worth the risk.

Like I said the odd part, is the plant list I linked earlier does not show Ivy as Toxic to reptiles, however it does show Oak as toxic. I believe it's the tannins that are said to be toxic.

Edit:

Yep I was typing that as you did lol.

Yup, things like spinach are high in oxalates(for foods that we eat) I believe dandelion is too along with many others. That's why it's odd when people say don't gutload with spinach, but then let their veileds strip pothos.

Yup, things like spinach are high in oxalates(for foods that we eat) I believe dandelion is too along with many others. That's why it's odd when people say don't gutload with spinach, but then let their veileds strip pothos.

Yep and Dandelion is used in alot of gutloads. Both commercial and homemade.

I think it's just like Nicotine, or Caffeine ect. We eat Nightshade (Tamatoes, Eggplants), with Nicotine in it, but in it's pure form that's deadly poision, we drink caffeinated Tea/Coffee and Tea is good for you they say.

Everything in moderation.

Back
Top Bottom