Pillbugs as food for small chams?

Jikkermanccini

Established Member
Hey there! I'm curious if Pillbugs (Armadillidium Sp.) would be an OK feeder choice for smaller species of chams? I have a pair of Calumma Malthe, and while the male can eat roaches just fine, the female is significantly smaller and has a lot of trouble getting them down. Until they breed again and I have more nymphs, I'm trying to find alternative options. I will soon start breeding a couple of smaller roach species just for her, however if Pills are okay to feed then I will go ahead and add them to both of their diets. I assume they will be fine, since they are what people use in bioactive enclosures.
Thanks.

That's a good question. I would say yes. But a even though they are smaller they are a little harder than the Roach so. You could always give a shot and see how it works out. I would get some more experienced opinions in that category first. I do know some chams don't like pill bugs but then some do

Yeah they’re definitely a good option for a varied diet. They are very high in calcium/minerals, so no need to dust any feeders on days you’d feed some off. One thing to be aware of, they are said to absorb heavy metals from their environment. So if collecting from your yard or any questionable conditions, I’d breed them and only feed off the offspring. Not sure how true or concerning that really is, but would make sense.

A species you may want to look into as a feeder would be porcellio ornatus. The normal spotted ones are cheap, reproduce fast, are active, eat a lot(one of the only isopods that will run to food when you put it in), and get very large. The adults can get close to dubia roaches in size. They’re easy to keep, but the porcellio isopods need very good ventilation and dry conditions with access to a moist corner or two.

Yeah they’re definitely a good option for a varied diet. They are very high in calcium/minerals, so no need to dust any feeders on days you’d feed some off. One thing to be aware of, they are said to absorb heavy metals from their environment. So if collecting from your yard or any questionable conditions, I’d breed them and only feed off the offspring. Not sure how true or concerning that really is, but would make sense.

A species you may want to look into as a feeder would be porcellio ornatus. The normal spotted ones are cheap, reproduce fast, are active, eat a lot(one of the only isopods that will run to food when you put it in), and get very large. The adults can get close to dubia roaches in size. They’re easy to keep, but the porcellio isopods need very good ventilation and dry conditions with access to a moist corner or two.
Thanks a lot! I've been looking into some of the larger species recently, they seem like a really viable option. I'm going to order a few more species of roach from a feeder site, so I'll add some of the larger Porcellio to the order too! My female showed no interest in the native Armadilidium, but my male pounded them down. Our yard is very clean, we try not to use non-organic things since we keep bees as well, and the bug primarily eat decomposing hay. I always prefer to culture my own feeders though.
Thanks again for the info!

Pill bugs/isopods are a great feeder. I have some chameleons that preferentially target them in fact (Trioceros ellioti, Furcifer antimena). Adding them to the diet is a good idea!
Very interesting to hear! I've read some anecdotal evidence that suggests C. Malthe will actually hunt along the ground and even flip over leaves to find prey in the wild, so perhaps that's why they consume the roaches and pillbugs so readily. I will be adding some beetles and small roaches to their diets too, so I hope they find them palatable. Really exciting!

Thanks a lot! I've been looking into some of the larger species recently, they seem like a really viable option. I'm going to order a few more species of roach from a feeder site, so I'll add some of the larger Porcellio to the order too! My female showed no interest in the native Armadilidium, but my male pounded them down. Our yard is very clean, we try not to use non-organic things since we keep bees as well, and the bug primarily eat decomposing hay. I always prefer to culture my own feeders though.
Thanks again for the info!
No problem! I’ve had probably 60 different inverts(mostly roaches, but also beetles, phasmids, katydids, grasshoppers, snails, isopods, etc), nothing now other than 4 small colonies I kept around, but feel free to ask if you’re looking for any specific suggestions. There’s a lot of good feeder options out there that you don’t see many people use.

For your yard just be mindful of past lead paint or anything that could have leached into the yard and stayed there for years. I believe lead can stay in the ground for a very long time. Cool that you have bees, that’s a good feeder right there!

Very interesting to hear! I've read some anecdotal evidence that suggests C. Malthe will actually hunt along the ground and even flip over leaves to find prey in the wild, so perhaps that's why they consume the roaches and pillbugs so readily. I will be adding some beetles and small roaches to their diets too, so I hope they find them palatable. Really exciting!

People say their veileds do this as well. My panthers would occasionally too. IMO it’s another example of bio activity being beneficial to a chameleon enclosure.

Since you mention beetles, could give harlequin beetles/grubs a try too. Pretty cool looking and not hard to raise.

Back
Top Bottom