Pics of the progress on Bambi’s Enclosure

chamimom

I’m so excited about my DIY enclosure I’m putting together! I built a planter box out of a stabilized particle board shelf and scrap wood we had in the garage. It is airing out right now from the pond sealant I painted onto the inside. I added one and a half inch feet to support the bottom and also slightly raise it off the floor for a drainage tray. I’ll cover the rest of the black with more wood panels, but right now I am just focused on functional. I will work on the aesthetics afterwards. I’m thinking of covering the box in bark off our firewood after treating it to make it look tree trunkish 😊.

Anyways, I took a chinchilla cage my chinchilla group outgrew and put up waterproof plastic/stone composite interlocking floor pieces for the sides. I’ll seal up the back corners with fish tank stuff. The middle metal piece at the door will be removed, and there will be a screen door. The top will have aluminum screen. Then the bottom metal parts will be covered with tarp and partially raised up in the planter box so that Bambi can be above head level and feel more secure.

For the planter box, I am sewing my own custom made root bag with the strongest landscaping material we could find. Plan on going bioactive after a while. I wanted to do a digger, but I can’t, because I’m Southern California on the edge of the desert, most months of the year the temps don’t drop low enough in the house at night, so I got a splitter for our Mist King to work for both enclosures side by side.

Returning to the vet’s soon for another deworming for her and that’s when the vet said we could change out the substrate and wash branches and things. I may just need to cut new branches though. We have these weird tree plants that are connected by a huge system of underground roots, and they’re impossible to kill without digging up the entire yard. Their branches are perfect for the cham’s cages!

Attachments

• 4B627136-8EED-4C4B-9EB4-C5DA39877E8A.jpeg
    4B627136-8EED-4C4B-9EB4-C5DA39877E8A.jpeg
    378.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 63D8106B-1597-4151-9D60-C79BBF5B91A6.jpeg
    63D8106B-1597-4151-9D60-C79BBF5B91A6.jpeg
    263.7 KB · Views: 89
  • C23798DA-B685-45F0-AF51-CA35C5349FC6.jpeg
    C23798DA-B685-45F0-AF51-CA35C5349FC6.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 8FC2E6B0-1754-429C-A8DB-6877D701D2AD.jpeg
    8FC2E6B0-1754-429C-A8DB-6877D701D2AD.jpeg
    195.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 4153CC4F-FC95-4825-8010-D711BA3CE94E.jpeg
    4153CC4F-FC95-4825-8010-D711BA3CE94E.jpeg
    299.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 6362EF4F-FCBF-422B-8B91-E44142C2BF87.jpeg
    6362EF4F-FCBF-422B-8B91-E44142C2BF87.jpeg
    245.1 KB · Views: 95
I’m so excited about my DIY enclosure I’m putting together! I built a planter box out of a stabilized particle board shelf and scrap wood we had in the garage. It is airing out right now from the pond sealant I painted onto the inside. I added one and a half inch feet to support the bottom and also slightly raise it off the floor for a drainage tray. I’ll cover the rest of the black with more wood panels, but right now I am just focused on functional. I will work on the aesthetics afterwards. I’m thinking of covering the box in bark off our firewood after treating it to make it look tree trunkish 😊.

Anyways, I took a chinchilla cage my chinchilla group outgrew and put up waterproof plastic/stone composite interlocking floor pieces for the sides. I’ll seal up the back corners with fish tank stuff. The middle metal piece at the door will be removed, and there will be a screen door. The top will have aluminum screen. Then the bottom metal parts will be covered with tarp and partially raised up in the planter box so that Bambi can be above head level and feel more secure.

For the planter box, I am sewing my own custom made root bag with the strongest landscaping material we could find. Plan on going bioactive after a while. I wanted to do a digger, but I can’t, because I’m Southern California on the edge of the desert, most months of the year the temps don’t drop low enough in the house at night, so I got a splitter for our Mist King to work for both enclosures side by side.

Returning to the vet’s soon for another deworming for her and that’s when the vet said we could change out the substrate and wash branches and things. I may just need to cut new branches though. We have these weird tree plants that are connected by a huge system of underground roots, and they’re impossible to kill without digging up the entire yard. Their branches are perfect for the cham’s cages!

Will do! Thanks! Putting the landscaping material into the planter box today. Sewing didn't go so well, lol. I'm good with wood, not so much fabric, so I'm just going to nail it in, lol.

Will do! Thanks! Putting the landscaping material into the planter box today. Sewing didn't go so well, lol. I'm good with wood, not so much fabric, so I'm just going to nail it in, lol.
I'd silicone the nail holes if the wood under the landscape fabric isn't sealed so you don't get water damage there

Hey, All! So I got my enclosure functional, and Bambi is using it already. The vet did another deworming and cleared her to be transferred to a new enclosure with fresh substrate and said she doesn't need anymore dewormings as long as she is doing okay. All of her branches are new branches, because the ones that were in her previous enclosure were no where near long enough. I have pictures, but they are all on my phone, and I am having difficulty getting them to upload from my iphone to my computer for some annoying reason, and I hate functioning from my phone on things like this. It makes me feel claustrophobic, lol. I'll get them up as soon as I can, though! I am very pleased with it!

Waiting for someone to try and do a 3d printed enclosure. Your is looking great. Waiting to see how it all turns out with pics. Is the planter on wheels?

Waiting for someone to try and do a 3d printed enclosure. Your is looking great. Waiting to see how it all turns out with pics. Is the planter on wheels?
Oh, wow, yeah. I never thought of someone doing a 3d printed. That would be awesome! And thanks for the compliment. The planter is not on wheels. I have it set up on 1 3/4 inch feet supporting the floor board. I don't plan to move it, at least not for a very long time, so I didn't really feel the need for wheels. I could add some eventually if I really wanted them :).

Ok cool. Yea I think a cylinder shape could be cool looking just incorporate the ledges into the frame itself.

Ok cool. Yea I think a cylinder shape could be cool looking just incorporate the ledges into the frame itself.
We made ledges similar to the ones in the Dragon Strand cages. We used some of that floor board and doubled it up, put the holes through it, and then used cut PVC pipe to attach the ledge to the sides of the cage :)

Yea I used screen frame on the outside, half inch cpvc and quarter inch stainless steel nuts. Anything to transfer weight to frame

Attachments

• IMG_20220720_064929_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20220720_064929_hdr.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 69
Back
Top Bottom