Pico with a swollen foot

spottea

So, On Saturday I noticed Pico had a swollen back, inside part of her foot. I looked at it quite closely, which pissed her off, but I couldn't see any obvious wound, and her nails were all there. Of course, It was Saturday, so I spent the weekend worrying, and trying not to read all the sad stories on here about other cham's feet. On Monday, I called Dr. Greek, but couldn't get an appointment until today.
Pico seemed off her food today too, as nothing I put in her dish seemed to appeal to her. Anyway, I packed her up in her bucket this afternoon, and off we set. It was only about a 45 minute trip, so I know I'm lucky compared to some. Dr.Greek was very nice, took her in the back, and got some pus out of her foot. I now have antibiotics to give her for two weeks. She slept in her bucket all the way home, and was very glad to get back in her branches.
Not quite sure how I'm going to give her meds at 6 in the morning, when she's not awake yet. Night time I would have the same problem.
Will try to attach some pics!
P1000864.jpg
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Would appreciate any suggestions as to how to give medication when she's still asleep! Would touching her nose with the dropper be enough to wake her up?
Thanks for any input.

Still need help with giving medication. Help!

I posted on Tuesday about my little Jackson girl with the foot abcess. I put cute pics up,and everything! No response at all.
So, I'm trying again.
I have to give her 1 drop antibiotic once a day. This is so much more difficult than I thought it would be. Yesterday went Ok as I had a day off. I was able to sneak in the med as I was taking away a dubia that was too large for her to swallow.
Today and tomorrow however I am working. So, I'm outside in the dark with a little penlight in my mouth. Of course Pico isn't awake yet. I tried rubbing the dropper alongside her mouth, as the guy at the reptile store told me, but she din't start smacking her lips as he said she would. Instead, she started walking away! I ended up having to pick her up, and I think I got some med in her mouth but I'm not sure. She was traumatized, and so was I, it was ugly! She's going to hate me after two weeks of this. Is there a better way? If she hand fed I could place the med on the critter, but no,we're not there yet.
Please help!
Oh, and she's asleep when I get home from work too, so don't suggest that.
Appreciate your help,,and hope you like the cute photos.

When I had to give antibiotics to my sleeping Jackson's, I picked him up off the vine and slipped the syringe into his mouth all in one fell swoop. He never opens up willingly, but being all sleepy and relaxed, he took it okay. I put him back where I found him and after a bit of fussing, he went back to sleep. I think the trick might to be firm (but gentle) and get it over with as quickly as you can.

I felt bad about waking him up, but unfortunately on that occasion it had to be done. He pouted for a bit, but a few days after the antibiotics, he was back to normal and didn't seem to fear me any more than typical.

The meds will make her feel better, then she will perk up and go back to being her usual grumpy self. Best of luck to both of you :)

Yes, Camimom, I did see an actual vet, Dr. Greek out in Yorba Linda. He has a really good reputation on here, and with South Bay Chameleons. I know I'm really lucky to,have an exotic pet vet at all!
I can't remember the name of the med, and you'd think I would, being a nurse and all, but I'm at wotk now and can't check.
He wasn't nearly as worried as I was, but did say it might come back, as pus is very hard to remove, as it's so thick. Fingers crossed I won't have to go back, nice as he was. She weighed 1300 gms,,then fell off the scale so I had to,hold her.
He told me not to be scared of picking her up, but I never do normally.

When I had to give antibiotics to my sleeping Jackson's, I picked him up off the vine and slipped the syringe into his mouth all in one fell swoop. He never opens up willingly, but being all sleepy and relaxed, he took it okay. I put him back where I found him and after a bit of fussing, he went back to sleep. I think the trick might to be firm (but gentle) and get it over with as quickly as you can.

I felt bad about waking him up, but unfortunately on that occasion it had to be done. He pouted for a bit, but a few days after the antibiotics, he was back to normal and didn't seem to fear me any more than typical.

The meds will make her feel better, then she will perk up and go back to being her usual grumpy self. Best of luck to both of you :)

Thanks Lathis, I feel better already! The vet did say it was the most common problem. No advice I was given worked. Tapping on her nose did not make her open her mouth, and stroking the dropper along her mouth didn't work either. So, I will just do as you did, and pick her up, give the med and put her back. It's about 6 in the morning when I leave, so she's getting up soon anyway!
The guy at the store said to put Neosporin on the foot, but I haven't, as there is no open area,so what's the point?
Did you see the pics? Isn't she the cutest little girl?

How could I miss the photos? Pico is adorable! :D

Did the vet give you a slim rubber nipple to put on the end of the syringe? That might help slipping the meds into her mouth. My vet gets Ferdinand to open right up by pressing gently on either side of the jaw, but I can't seem to figure out the trick. It can be very frustrating giving Ferds medicine. He shakes his head back and forth like a tiny dog and then half the time holds it in his mouth and spits it out afterward. I have caught myself in some heated one-sided arguments about taking his medicine :)

The antibiotics may put her off her food, so don't be surprised if she doesn't eat well while taking the meds. I've been told that antibiotics can also be hard on the kidneys, so make sure she stays extra hydrated.

As I understand it, neosporin only works for open wounds, since it is a topical antibiotic cream. I agree that it is not going to help here unless she has a scratch or cut. In general, be suspicious of anything they tell you at pet stores and make sure you do your own research.

The antibiotics should start working in a day or two. It will be a noticeable improvement, but make sure you give her the whole dose as recommended by the vet. Don't quit them early.

I am sorry that your post was missed originally! Sometimes things slip through the cracks. :( You have gotten great advice so far and it sounds like you're on the right track. As Dr. Greek mentioned, sometimes this problem can be challenging since pus is very thick in reptiles and may need to be manually removed with minor surgery. Here are some other tips on giving meds to chameleons: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/healthx/vet/

Piko is much better thanks. I changed the spelling because it was supposed to be Hawaiian for bellybutton!
Her foot is back to normal, and she's been through a shedding, her first since I've had her. It was a little alarming! I had a friend over the day before, and noticed that she was dark in colour again, and not moving around much. I was thinking, Oh God, what's wrong now? The next day, she looked like she was wearing a paper coat, so funny! She spent all day rubbing on leaves branches etc. It looked like it must really itch, as she worked on it nonstop. There was skin everywhere! Following day, all gone.
She's eating better too, but now I have to work on making friends again, as the whole medication thing has really put a dent in our relationship!
I was worried when it got really hot here last week, but it didn't seem to bother her nearly as much as it did me. It was over 90 a couple of days, but I have plenty of shade and have bought a MistKing. If only I could figure out the damn timer!

Great news! I'm glad she's doing better!
:D

I love my MistKing; once you get it all set up, you won't know how you lived without it.

Back
Top Bottom