Picky/Hesitant eaters...

webghost

For those who experience hardship feeding their chameleons due to hunger strikes, picky eaters and just being overall hesitant to grab the food from the hand...

Is it OK to once in a while slip a dusted cricket/worm into the chameleon's mouth when they open their mouth?

For those who experience hardship feeding their chameleons due to hunger strikes, picky eaters and just being overall hesitant to grab the food from the hand...

Is it OK to once in a while slip a dusted cricket/worm into the chameleon's mouth when they open their mouth?

I wouldnt force it, unless they are sick and cannot eat on their own.. Besides if they are gonna be cranky then they get no food.

Naturally they will eat on their own, just make sure you have food available at all times.

Well, I am gonna go against the others and say yes. If alls I can get my cham to eat is super worms then when he has one in his mouth I will shove a silk or two in or a cricket if I have them. Right now he likes silks. Sometimes he refuses them and I dont want him just eating supers. I don't see the harm in it! Just my opinion....

Well, I am gonna go against the others and say yes. If alls I can get my cham to eat is super worms then when he has one in his mouth I will shove a silk or two in or a cricket if I have them. Right now he likes silks. Sometimes he refuses them and I dont want him just eating supers. I don't see the harm in it! Just my opinion....

Interesting :).. So I see people on both sides of the coin.. The question is, will it be harmful to them if we do slip 1 in when they are chewing.. Thanks for the responses. Look forward to see what others have to say as well :)

Interesting :).. So I see people on both sides of the coin.. The question is, will it be harmful to them if we do slip 1 in when they are chewing.. Thanks for the responses. Look forward to see what others have to say as well :)

well, it hasnt killed mine yet!;) And it is not something i do every day of course!

I will admit I do not have years of experience with chameleons specifically, however I have worked with animals for 8 years, and I think regardless of the yes or no answer to that question I think is more important to be careful. If the animal is receptive to the food item being ''put'' in his/her mouth and chews and swallows great!especialaly if thats the only way to ensure a varied diet... but you want to be very careful not make it hard for the critter to swallow the food item without choking or aspirating.... im sure for some chams this might work well while others could be easily harmed. I personally have to "encourage" my gal to eat certain items on a fairly regular basis, it works for her.

Back
Top Bottom