Picky eater

Mojo-jojo

Hey, anybody have a picky eating Cham? I have a female panther I feed her crickets, meal worms, horn worms, and super worms. But she doesn’t seem to be interested in any of them. I have considered dubia roaches, but I am allergic to roaches so I don’t want to risk that, I am not opposed to trying if needed.
Thanks guys.

Some chams can be picky. Are you making sure the bugs are the right size? Rule of thumb is no bug wider than the width between the chameleons eyes.

How old is she? They wont eat too much before they lay eggs.

How old is she? How big are the insects?
Please post a couple of photos so I can see her from the side.

I believe she is 7 months, I always get small or medium crickets, even with the horned worms, I won’t let them get big.

Attachments

• 25774536-E066-4A35-A9F9-C77E95F311FE.jpeg
    25774536-E066-4A35-A9F9-C77E95F311FE.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 81
  • F020629B-F3FE-47BE-A544-F900D5B855D9.jpeg
    F020629B-F3FE-47BE-A544-F900D5B855D9.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 80
Is she scared of you? I have a couple chams who are reluctant to eat anything- unless you hold it for them! Try hand feeding; maybe you'll get a better response!

No she isn’t scared of me, I will give hand feeding a try, I have tried hand feeding her horned worms, she doesn’t seem to be too interested, but she will eat them if I leave them sometimes.

Hey, anybody have a picky eating Cham? I have a female panther I feed her crickets, meal worms, horn worms, and super worms. But she doesn’t seem to be interested in any of them. I have considered dubia roaches, but I am allergic to roaches so I don’t want to risk that, I am not opposed to trying if needed.
Thanks guys.
My male nosy be is extremely picky. Rarely eats crickets unless that's his only option and straight up refuses dubias. I get the best feeding response from wild insects like grasshoppers catydids and cicadas.

Thank you guys I appreciate all the help, I will give hand-feeding a try, and introduce other foods to her slowly see what works for her and what doesn't.

I feed her crickets, meal worms, horn worms, and super worms
These foods (besides crickets) are generally slow moving insects, so it could be helpful to try introducing foods that are more mobile such as black soldier flies, hawkmoths, or other flying foods and it may peak her interest! Also, I would suggest getting rid of the mealworms as they are have very little nutrition value. I will include an infographic of good feeder options for her. If you have trouble finding good food options locally there are many good breeders of insects you can order from online, such as our very own @jamest0o0 !
chameleon-food.jpg

Back
Top Bottom