Picky eater!!

Mansfield

Established Member
Hi All,
My man Percival is the pickiest eater these days. I mean, I am so thankful to have crickets removed from his feeder rotation, so don’t get me wrong. I have tried to basically keep 3+ feeders available to him each feeding. He has been getting BSFL (and the flies that are leftover), Silkworms and Dubias. I dust with Rapashy Calcium Plus LoD. Here’s my concern: For the past month or so I have been noticing that he will eat the silkworms (3-4 depending on size), and he LOVES them, a few BSFL (maybe 5 or so), a few BSF just for sport (he loves to hunt them), but ZERO Dubias. He ate maybe 4 Dubias his entire life. After that he basically just bobs his head at them in the feeder dish (I have separate feeder dishes for each feeder type). So, I’m left with 90% of the Dubias I bought early July and just rotate them everyday in the feeder dish and their little roach cages. I even have 2 roach cages now just to make sure I don’t put the same roaches in more often than another, call it “feeder stress management”. lol. I guess I am just learning how to keep a roach colony now? Is a diet of Silkworms and BSFL + BSF fine?

so you saying you have separate feeding dishes ? have you tried to mix them all in one cup ? this is the only way I can get some of my chams to eat dubia . they move more when they are in a cup mixed with other feeders or sometimes they get eating by accident .

I'm sure you'll get a lot of input on this subject. Honestly, I would be thrilled if my Panther would eat bsfl and silkies! Those are 2 excellent feeders, low in fat, high in the calcium.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200229-172521_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200229-172521_Samsung Internet.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 81
Yeah, I tried putting them in with other feeders into one of those feeder dishes from Full throttle. Unfortunately, they always tend to just cram themselves into the edge of the bottom. My little dude never saw them, or at least that’s what I assumed, so I started putting them in a more shallow dish that makes them much easier to see. They also tend to move around more in it. It could just be he doesn’t like them haha.
Also, I am happy with what feeders he IS eating regularly, I just know variety is a key to any diet ?, and there isn’t a fiery chance in hell I will EVER buy crickets again! Ever.

If you mix his bugs together he will accidentally hit a Dubia. Sometimes you just need to offer Dubia and if you do that he will start being like '' Well it's all I got.'' so he will then start eating them. Mine would not eat BSFL so I offered him just that he ate them, and now its one of the first things gone in the bowl. He might like hornworms and super worms, they are treats so do not do it daily. They are both pretty fatty but the hornworms are juicy and hydrating.

Back
Top Bottom