Picasso

What is a "Picasso" ? There's no such Locale. Back in the day, a few tried to market Ambilobes with the designer name "Picasso" in an attempt to make it seem distinct from Ambilobes already here in the U.S. Like other designer names, they do not stick, and common sense labeling resorts back to a geographic moniker.

I heard it was to keep an eye on a certain bloodline of ambilobes which was imported and named by somebody, not necessarily to "market" them to sell more.

I looked it up and it said "Picasso" chameleons MIGHT come from Ambilobe, its a marketing term for someone who sells them...But I also ready they are suposed to be one of the nicest looking panther chameleons. So either way you should smiley! ;)

Nope.

I heard it was to keep an eye on a certain bloodline of ambilobes which was imported and named by somebody, not necessarily to "market" them to sell more.

That may be what you heard, but that is not correct. It is no different than bringing in Nosy Faly's or Oorena Mena's, Nosy Mitsio's or Marfana's.

I was part of the first imported shipment of Ambilobes (labeled as Ambilobes) in 2001. Immediately after that, one exporter in Madagascar attempted to label his Ambilobe's as "Picasso's", and for a while, his Ambilobe exports were marketed as Picassos. Same animals, just some BS spin. For the record, Bill Love was the first to publicise the locale in the U.S. based on trips he had made to the Ambilobe region. He confirmed in 2001 that they were one-and-the-same.

If someone now is trying to put the designer name "Picasso" on their particular bloodline, then buyer beware. Its just marketing to get some extra money out of your pocket.

Back
Top Bottom