Phoenix worms with maggots after only two weeks?

pba110

Established Member
Hey,
Had 400 phoenix worms stored at room temp. They all have maggots now. What did I do wrong? just kept the tops on...not really sure how a fly landed in there and laid eggs...weird.
Anyone else had this problem?

Hey,
Had 400 phoenix worms stored at room temp. They all have maggots now. What did I do wrong? just kept the tops on...not really sure how a fly landed in there and laid eggs...weird.
Anyone else had this problem?

well.. phoenix worm is a maggot technically. r u sure it's not one of them?
To b quite honest, larvae of black soldier fly (phoenix worm) is a natural predator for house flies/ bb flies.
The phoenix worm will kill the maggot soon.

farmers use b. soldier larvae to get rid of house flies infestation.

they are very small white bugs, probably 1/25th the size of the phoenix worms...the smell is not a good one either. It smells like death.
Anyway, I'm bummed, they aren't cheap

Pheonix worms ARE maggots. They've ust been given a different name to help sales.
Maybe you have mites? is it really damp in the container?

well, i didn't add anything to the containers really.
could be mites?
Not as stoked on the product as I was

did you order direct? Usually getting direct they stay pretty good. I know I went to petsmart a few weeks ago cause I was out and all there cups were soaked in water and smelled soooo freaking bad. I tried telling the lady back in the fish dep. that who ever is adding water needs to stop and she told me they come in that way. I explaned to her I have ordered direct and they do not come in soaked with dead MOLDY worms in them. Some were litterally to the lids inside with mold. It was sooo nasty!
If you keep them just lightly moistened they should last. I really never add water to them.....

Back
Top Bottom