petco is horrible!

peacenlove

so i went to petco today just to buy a new mister for my chams and i saw this jackson cham there and it broke my heart, it looked so sick and its mouth was open wide and it was siting in its waterdish it was so dehydrated, there was nothing for her to climb in and one of her eyes wouldnt open up all the way! it brought tears to my eyes to see its health go so downhill, it was priced for almost 200$ ... i wish i could have taken him out of there and saved his life but sadly i dont have that kind of money... still broke my heart, i hate petstores that take in animals they dont know how to care for! here's some pics, i also got my pearl veiled cham from petco and she was severely dehydrated and was walking on her foot wrong, i got her back to health but this one was just to expensive.

View attachment 63560

View attachment 63561

View attachment 63562

they dont deserve to get pets, none of them. its so sad so many of them die and they dont care. i hate our world now days disposing animals like its no problem.

That's so wrong thats why they should hire kids that don't know what there doing they should be held to a high standard I hoped you said something to the worker or called headquarters

Omg cant you report them to somebody??? That breaks my heart. And the worst part is she probably wont make it b cthey wont help her.....

i know! i wanted to complain but the manager was as young as me, there was nothing i really could do unless i buy it but really no one would buy her because shes so sick, its horrible :( i should call and complain but imagine all the people that already do? nothing would change.

You can actually call and notify. Their district managers are suppose to make sure that their managers take care of the animals. All the staff that are in charge of the animals are at fault (ultimately the GM's fault). They are supposed to take them to a veterinarian. If the jackson can't be saved, they'll put it down.

Buying the animals doesn't solve anything because it gives them a reason to replenish their stock again. The longer it takes to sell an animal, they are less likely to purchase for the future. I'm saying this because I used to work at a Petco and the store I used to work in stopped carrying a lot of animals.

i sent them a complaint and the next time i go there i will talk to there manager! i might not be able to save all the horribly taken care of animals but ill try to save one at a time.

are there no laws that would protect the animal and possibly forbid those companies to hold them?

nope. i got a email from them saying they train there workers specially to care for there animals, load of bull. they wont do anything for her.

I just (for lack of a better word) rescued one of my veileds from Petco. I hate to buy animals there but he was pitiful. He's doing so much better now just after a few weeks of being with me. It's sad how horrible they treat their animals. I went one time and a bearded dragon was dead in one of the displays:(

I have filed animal cruelty complaints on my petco and they fixed their setup real quick! You just have to make a scene in front of a manager or else they won't do anything. So sad...

Looks like they are raising superworms in his cage...another thing "wrong" with this scenario!

Gary
Tampa, FL

well update on the jacksons after i sent in a complaint to them i went there today and he looks a lot better, he was eating and drinking, he still isnt the best health but there trying.

sad

This is so true. I work at a pet store and that is where I rescued my Jackson's from. He only had a water bowl and a stick. I had never ever had a cham before, but I read up on it and got all the right things for him, and now I am much more knowledgeable about their care and needs. I have a large mesh enclosure, a RainDome, etc. etc. etc. If we ever get in a chameleon again, (which I am pushing for NOT to happen), I am going to do everything I can to make sure it is well taken care of (as best as it can be, in a tiny glass cage) and that the customers are fully aware of its needs. It's disgusting, especially because people look at the kind of enclosures and conditions they have the animals housed in at the petstores as a model, and replicate that at home, so the animal continues to get poor care.

exactly which is horrible! i once went to a petco and the lady was trying to sell a baby vieled cham saying it would turn whatever color it was put in front of, blue if a blue paper was behind it etc. and i got pissed and i walked up there and told the people that wasnt true and explained to them the true care needed and they didnt get it, but i rather them not buy it because its to hard then them buy a cham without giving it the things it needs.

Back
Top Bottom