Pet stores stink....

allicat1229

Well, most do anyways. The gist: in a local petstore that I routinely check through animal control last weekend. New wc flapnecks in and a 95% dead collard lizard. Collard lizard died, and I instructed them on the proper cham care and to remove the standing water dish and mulch substrate. While I was back this weekend for a recheck, I noticed the 2 flapnecks were gravid and ready to lay. I instructed to (once again) remove the water dish and mulch from the terrarium floor and provide an egg laying bin for them. Go back in today and one was eggbound and dead, just laying there, no one noticing or caring. I am furious and I was very upset that I left without the other female knowing that she was going to meet the same fate. We try, and try to help and offer advice regarding proper husbandry (for all the animals) and all that is cared about is the money. Well, now an official animal control visit is being set up and citations issued. No more miss nice guy (or girl).

Sorry to vent, had to get it off my chest.:mad:

That is horrible, and yes it’s all about the money. Selling sick animals, and not able to provide the animal with proper husbandry or for that matter able to educate the customer that is purchasing.

Sucks how people just dont care. I bought my first cham from a store in Pembroke Pines, and the guy seemed as if he knew what he was talking about.. so i believed him. then I started doing my own research and saw how many things were wrong with what he was saying and the way he keeps the animals. right now he has 4 fischer chams in an exo-terra terrarium (not the biggest one), with mulch as substrate, water fountains, there is feces everywhere and stagnant water on the bottom of the terrarium, above the mulch. I tried talking to him about it, but he is stubborn as hell. Really sad.

It really is. This time I am angry and pulling rank. They will listen or get manner of keeping violations. If I break down, I may you to tell me how to construct a laying bin....dangit....

Can't you call the ASU? That way they can get the authorities involved if the animals are kept in such bad conditions.

I am that...(or close enough to it, my mom is the director of animal control)...but its hard to regulate exotic animals with the current legislature being so vague. They have sufficiently ticked me off to the point to where they will be getting a documented visit tomorrow with my complaint. I told them if they corrected the issues, I would not call it in...2 dead lizards later, ignoring my advice and I have had it. It probably won't help this female, but maybe me showing up constantly will make them think twice about the type of reptiles they choose to sell.

Hopefully cause there are too many animals (not just chameleons) that are abused by pet stores. The conditions in which the guy I mentioned keeps the animals are deplorable. It really sucks. Every time I go, he has either a dead chameleon in the cage, or very close to dying. Not to mention the rest of animals in the back.

I have seen some pretty terrible pet store cham conditions and seen so many stories on here.
awesome to see someone with the power to do something, go get um for everyone hehe.

Back
Top Bottom