Pet stores are finally getting the idea!

Alright forums, I had to go to petco today to pick up a water plant for a biology experiment and as always go to check in the reptile section.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw they actually had a decent chameleon keeping kit! They have a few modifications to make but they are finally getting the idea of what chameleons really need and providing new keepers with a decent set up that is screen (again they have a few things to adjust though) but its getting there.

So I just had to take a picture and share it all with you.

Attachments

• WP_20151110_008.jpg
    WP_20151110_008.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 268
But they still keep the chams themselves in a foot by foot abomination of a habitat. I bought this kit in August, and it was pretty underwhelming to be honest. The only thing I still use is the cage.

I implore you enthusiasm but it's not the products they sell per say it's the catastrophic conditions the keep the chameleons in, and the lack of training they have. I can only hope against hope this is the start of a new age when big box stores car more about their animals than the money.

I thought you were going to show a picture of a chameleon in a proper set up. Sorry but brownie is right. It's not what the sell for reptiles but how they keep them that gives them a bad rep.

I have that kit, though I can't tell the size from the picture. It's now my crickets home.

Also, what they said.

I suppose you are all right. Alaska must be so very behind in supplies being put on shelves as I have never seen it before.

I figured if anything at least they are providing novice keepers who haven't dont their research a slight idea of what is required for the chameleon and even a chance at raising a healthy chameleon. This seemed more important than them keeping the chameleons in a lack of good set up for a short while (at least up here). Must be wanting to see the glass as half full.

My apologies folks.

I suppose you are all right. Alaska must be so very behind in supplies being put on shelves as I have never seen it before.

I figured if anything at least they are providing novice keepers who haven't dont their research a slight idea of what is required for the chameleon and even a chance at raising a healthy chameleon. This seemed more important than them keeping the chameleons in a lack of good set up for a short while (at least up here). Must be wanting to see the glass as half full.

My apologies folks.

FWIW, I don't think AK stores are any worse or better than stores down in the south 48. So much depends on the education and dedication of the individual store's staff. I can see an AK store preferring to offer "kits" rather than all the supplies separately, because everything has to be shipped up here. Probably cheaper to buy a marginally OK kit. There are NO regionally available suppliers.

This kit actually is a pretty decent one for a new/inexperienced owner of a baby chameleon. I got my first little girl in August, knowing absolutely nothing about the care of a baby chameleon (my Pascal is happy and healthy due to last minute research and a paranoid vet visit or two). I purchased this kit at the time of getting my cham as well. It comes with a 16x16x30 inch screen cage, and a sample of calcium without D3 and a reptile friendly water purifier, and a small lamp with both a UV bulb and a basking bulb. It also includes a small Zoo Med reptivite sample, if I remember right. You can pull the bottom of the cage out for easy cleaning as well. The only thing that I didn't appreciate about this kit is that it doesn't come with as much foliage as it displays, only one fake vine and a small little fake bush thing. However, if you buy some more real or fake vines and possibly put a plant in the middle of the cage, and it's perfect for baby and juvenile chams. :)

95% of the pet stores i have visited are horrid. Namely housing as well as husbandry. Even worse is the advice they give. I have seen a rare few that do a wonderful job.

Back
Top Bottom