Pet store ignorance

azgnoinc

So I go check out a pet store in Erie, Pa yesterday and they have a "Sambava" subadult male Panther - complete with nice blue bars and all for the extra cheap asking price of $437.99 - yes you read that correctly.
I ask the guy if he is sure it's a Sambava and he assures me that it is cause that's what his supplier told him. I asked if he's seen any pics of Samabava's with blue bars and he tells me- You can just never tell what these guys will look like when they grow up.... ???? I tell him that I thinks it's probably an Ambilobe and to do some homework so that he is selling it with probable correct locale and he tells me it's no big deal... Needless to say I won't be buying anything from these guys.

Petstores... Are funny. I took my female from the Petsmart she was in. Told me my female veiled was a male, and that chameleons are not known to lay eggs. HA!

I was at a reptile show in November and someone had an Ambilobe panther for sale who was very clearly an Ambanja. A gorgeous one at that, between the blue bars it was practically white. If I had had the money on me I would have taken him, because he was reasonably priced and just to die for. But people don't know what they have sometimes, it's lazy of them to not double-check but people are like that.

Sambavas can have blue bars, especially when they are young. A lot of times they don't get their red bars until they are almost 24 months old.

My nine month old Sambava usually looks green with blue bars... When he fires up he gets orange and yellow on the bottom. He has a very distinct U Bar. I wonder what this panther you saw really is?? Can you get pictures of it??

Back
Top Bottom