Perlite vs Vermiculite

PardonMyPardalis

Established Member
What’s going on cham fam just wanted some solid info from your own experiences using perlite vs vermiculite. I’m noticing i get mold or unusual colors on my eggs when using perlite conoared to overall satisfaction with vermiculite. Comment which you use and your method on getting the humidity and temp correct.

Welcome to the forums. I’ve always used vermiculite. I put the eggs in a plastic Tupperware shoe box with about 3 inches of moist vermiculite and keep them in a closet where the temps will be around 76 degrees. I punch two tiny holes in the lid. To test for moisture, take a fist full of the vermiculite and squeeze it, if no more than a drop or two of water comes out then the moisture level should be okay. Do not turn the eggs as you move them from where they were laid to the container. Lay them in rows about an inch apart in all directions in shallow dents made with your thumb in the vermiculite. Put the lid on and place them in a dark place where the temperature is between 72-77 F. Moisture will form on the sides of the container and underside of the lid. If the eggs are not fertile they will mold over in a couple of week

Welcome to the forums. I’ve always used vermiculite. I put the eggs in a plastic Tupperware shoe box with about 3 inches of moist vermiculite and keep them in a closet where the temps will be around 76 degrees. I punch two tiny holes in the lid. To test for moisture, take a fist full of the vermiculite and squeeze it, if no more than a drop or two of water comes out then the moisture level should be okay. Do not turn the eggs as you move them from where they were laid to the container. Lay them in rows about an inch apart in all directions in shallow dents made with your thumb in the vermiculite. Put the lid on and place them in a dark place where the temperature is between 72-77 F. Moisture will form on the sides of the container and underside of the lid. If the eggs are not fertile they will mold over in a couple of week
Okay tyvm i appreciate the advice. Should i leave the dirt on them when i transfer? I heard there is a protective coating when they’re laid.

Back
Top Bottom