Perch for Yamen

Beardy100

Hello, I have a 5 month old male Yamen and so far everything is going well. I have read they don’t like to be handled but this is quite the opposite. If I open the glass and put my hand flat at the front of the enclosure, he always makes his way across and climbs on.
My question is, is there any kind of perch or branch that people have to sit the Chameleon on when they are out of the tank

You could build a free range are. A large fake plant, with some Vines and such hanging from the ceiling or something.

Ideally this free range will allow access to basking and UVB if he is to spend any noticeable amount of time there.

There is other reasons for wanting to come out of the cage, than wanting to be handled. Some do, seemingly want to be handled, but that is few and far between.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

If you could fill that out, it would be helpful in understanding if he is truly wanting to be "handled" or if it is something else entirely.

You could build a free range are. A large fake plant, with some Vines and such hanging from the ceiling or something.

Ideally this free range will allow access to basking and UVB if he is to spend any noticeable amount of time there.

There is other reasons for wanting to come out of the cage, than wanting to be handled. Some do, seemingly want to be handled, but that is few and far between.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon -Yamen, male, 5 months, had it for 2 months
  • Handling - 5 times a week
  • Feeding - 18 a day , 9 crickets 2 times a day. Never gut loaded.
  • Supplements - Nutrobal mineral feed, every other day.
  • Watering - exo Terra monsoon, twice a day for 60 seconds. Yes I have seen him drinking
  • Fecal Description - semi hard black and white lumps, never been tested
  • History - None
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Exo terra 90 x 60 x 60 glass viv with mesh top
  • Lighting - Arcadia prot5, 12 hours per day
  • Temperature - 92 at basking spot, 80-85 most of the tank and around 62 at the bottom of tank. Measured with digital and spot thermometers.
  • Humidity - 50-70 using exo terra monsoon. Tested with digital hydrometer.
  • Plants - Artificial
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?in the hallway, people pass around 8 times a day, no fans but plenty of airflow. Top is around 5 feet off the floor.
  • Location - UK
Current Problem - Advice on resting place when outside of tank.

thank you for any advice

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

If you could fill that out, it would be helpful in understanding if he is truly wanting to be "handled" or if it is something else entirely.

I'm not too great with vieleds but I think 92f is a tad high for a juvi. That may be why is wanting out.

Do you have a picture? Is your Exoterra 90 wide or 90 tall?

Exoterra is always 45 deep, I have never seen one that is 60 deep?

I'm not too great with vieleds but I think 92f is a tad high for a juvi. That may be why is wanting out.

Do you have a picture? Is your Exoterra 90 wide or 90 tall?

Exoterra is always 45 deep, I have never seen one that is 60 deep?
Hi I have just checked the invoice for the one I bought, it’s 90 x 45 x 90. But 90 is definitely the height

So I have just turned the thermostat for the basking area down to 89 degrees. Apart from that does everything else look ok?

Live plants would be better than artificial.

Would still like to see a picture of your branching network. So a pic of the cage setup, if and when you can.

Live plants would be better than artificial.

Would still like to see a picture of your branching network. So a pic of the cage setup, if and when you can.

Attachments

• D029397D-8A04-49BF-8504-C3629CB12752.jpeg
    D029397D-8A04-49BF-8504-C3629CB12752.jpeg
    299.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Your Chameleon -Yamen, male, 5 months, had it for 2 months Are you sure it's a male? Does it have tarsal Spurs on its heels?
  • Feeding - 18 a day , 9 crickets 2 times a day. Never gut loaded. Feeding earlier in the day for the second batch would allow for better digestion. a wider variety of insects (locusts, roaches, silkworms, hornworms, etc) would be beneficial too. They should be well fed and gutloaded too. Dandelion greens, kale, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, squash, carrots, zucchini, and a bit of berries apples, pears, melon for the locusts, crickets, roaches.
  • Supplements - Nutrobal mineral feed, every other day. I use a phos free calcium powder lightly dusted on the insects before almost each feeding and a phos free calcium/D3 powder twice a month lightly to ensure that the chameleon gets some D3 without overdosing it and letting it produce the rest of the D3 from its exposure to the UVB light. I dust twice a month with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene prOformed source of vitamin A. PrEformed sources can build up in the system so they should be used with caution only when needed.
  • Watering - exo Terra monsoon, twice a day for 60 seconds. Yes I have seen him drinking I would add a dripper. All you need is a deli cup with a tiny hole in the bottom so it drips at the rate of one or two drips per second.
  • History - None
Cage Info:
  • Lighting - Arcadia prot5, 12 hours per day I use the long linear reptisun 5.0 tube UVB light. They are usually the most recommended. For a basking light just use a regular household incandescent bulb of a wattage that produces the right basking temperature. No lights at all at night.
  • Temperature - 92 at basking spot, 80-85 most of the tank and around 62 at the bottom of tank. Measured with digital and spot thermometers. 85F would be a better basking temperature for this age.
  • Plants - Artificial real plants are recommended since veileds are known to eat vegetation. Fake ones may cause impaction if ingested.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?in the hallway, people pass around 8 times a day, no fans but plenty of airflow. Top is around 5 feet off the floor.
  • Location - UK

• Your Chameleon -Yamen, male, 5 months, had it for 2 months Are you sure it's a male? Does it have tarsal Spurs on its heels?
  • Feeding - 18 a day , 9 crickets 2 times a day. Never gut loaded. Feeding earlier in the day for the second batch would allow for better digestion. a wider variety of insects (locusts, roaches, silkworms, hornworms, etc) would be beneficial too. They should be well fed and gutloaded too. Dandelion greens, kale, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, squash, carrots, zucchini, and a bit of berries apples, pears, melon for the locusts, crickets, roaches.
  • Supplements - Nutrobal mineral feed, every other day. I use a phos free calcium powder lightly dusted on the insects before almost each feeding and a phos free calcium/D3 powder twice a month lightly to ensure that the chameleon gets some D3 without overdosing it and letting it produce the rest of the D3 from its exposure to the UVB light. I dust twice a month with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene prOformed source of vitamin A. PrEformed sources can build up in the system so they should be used with caution only when needed.
  • Watering - exo Terra monsoon, twice a day for 60 seconds. Yes I have seen him drinking I would add a dripper. All you need is a deli cup with a tiny hole in the bottom so it drips at the rate of one or two drips per second.
  • History - None
Cage Info:
  • Lighting - Arcadia prot5, 12 hours per day I use the long linear reptisun 5.0 tube UVB light. They are usually the most recommended. For a basking light just use a regular household incandescent bulb of a wattage that produces the right basking temperature. No lights at all at night.
  • Temperature - 92 at basking spot, 80-85 most of the tank and around 62 at the bottom of tank. Measured with digital and spot thermometers. 85F would be a better basking temperature for this age.
  • Plants - Artificial real plants are recommended since veileds are known to eat vegetation. Fake ones may cause impaction if ingested.
  • Location - UK
Thank you for the advice, I will take this onboard

He has a T5, but he has the "Arcadia ProT5 ballast" + I would assume bulb.

https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/prot5/

The Arcadia is better than the Reptisun, it lasts twice as long in all testing I have seen. You should switch to Arcadia not try to switch him :p.

Oops...forgot to say welcome to the forum @Beardy100 and hope that helps.

Also...for a resting place outside the cage...how about a large plant with some sticks added to the pot?

Back
Top Bottom