Pedialyte?

saltwaterguy02

Is it ok to mist a chameleon and plants with Pedialyte mixed with water? It seems to be leaving a slight coat of glossiness on the leaves.

Pedialite has Sucralose in it. BAd for animals (and humans) Sucrolose is Sugar infused with chlorine. Basically, when they bleach the processed sugar, some of the sugar gets infused with chlorine. Yummy :)

Why do you have Pedilyte in your mister?

If you do post, why not just post something useful?

Its a messy way to get pedialyte to your chams, you might have better results with an eye dropper or a syringe with no needle. You can also use the stream on the sprayer to shoot gently onto the chams tongue while he laps up the water.

If you do post, why not just post something useful?

Its a messy way to get pedialyte to your chams, you might have better results with an eye dropper or a syringe with no needle. You can also use the stream on the sprayer to shoot gently onto the chams tongue while he laps up the water.

i think what he posted was quite useful, so i will post it again but in a way you might understand.

why would you give your chams pedialyte? for a treat because of the sugar? or to hydrate them when they are dehydrated?

im not exactly catching why one might give them this, and i imagine misting them with it would leave the sugars on their skin witch would possibly attract free range crix to bite the cham and cause further problems apart from one you might be trying to treat with this

i think what he posted was quite useful, so i will post it again but in a way you might understand.

why would you give your chams pedialyte? for a treat because of the sugar? or to hydrate them when they are dehydrated?

im not exactly catching why one might give them this, and i imagine misting them with it would leave the sugars on their skin witch would possibly attract free range crix to bite the cham and cause further problems apart from one you might be trying to treat with this

In the United State Pedialyte is used to treat humans and animals for dehydration. I forgot people from outside the US might not know of this product. Other than that is quite obvious what he's asking. Sugar coating a chameleon to attract free range crickets is sarcastic and highly unlikely.

Red Island there is no need to be nasty. I simply wanted to know the reason he was using Pedilyte in the first place. Atsutane was more detailed in their post as to why Pedilyte was even being used. If it is for dehydration, this is not the way to do it IMO. You should use a dropper and measure the amount you are giving and drip it into their mouth. Go slow and make sure the cham is swallowing or you could end up getting it into the airways. You should also do small amounts frequently instead of a huge amount at once. Again this is the way I do it and only my opinion.

pedialyte ???????????

i see this time and time again, and i cant help but wonder why people are compelled to mist with pedialyte? i can say with a fair degree of certainty that no cham in the wild has ever become dehydrated or failed to get rehydrated because of a lack of pedialyte , what ever happened to clean water? anything other than clean water carries with it an increased chance of eye problems if nothing else (including vitamin and mineral water). (preferably filtered if not distilled, household water is chlorinated and usually has a high concentration of copper) letting your water sit for 24 hrs will disipate any chlorine . jmo

i see this time and time again, and i cant help but wonder why people are compelled to mist with pedialyte? i can say with a fair degree of certainty that no cham in the wild has ever become dehydrated or failed to get rehydrated because of a lack of pedialyte , what ever happened to clean water? anything other than clean water carries with it an increased chance of eye problems if nothing else (including vitamin and mineral water). (preferably filtered if not distilled, household water is chlorinated and usually has a high concentration of copper) letting your water sit for 24 hrs will disipate any chlorine . jmo

If your cham is severly dehydrated and not eating, Pedilyte is used to replace electrolytes that every living thing has. It is not meant to use regularly, but only in severe cases. It has boosted my cham back to drinking on it's own the one time I "had" to use it. Also if your cham is sick, it can aid in helping them along.

In the United State Pedialyte is used to treat humans and animals for dehydration. I forgot people from outside the US might not know of this product. Other than that is quite obvious what he's asking. Sugar coating a chameleon to attract free range crickets is sarcastic and highly unlikely.

im not looking for a fight or am i trying to be sarcastic at all, its a known issue that fodder for reps can turn around and annoy the pet, even kill them if not tended to.

an example is rats have killed plenty of snakes

so it is not out of the realm of imagination that crix can nip your cham... even more so since many insects are attracted to sugar... yes the likely hood may be low... but its still there...

as for knowing what pedialyte is, sure ive seen it, but i agree with xanthoman... water is a good choice

but putting all that aside, would Gatorade be a bad substitute if you "had" to use something to help rehydrate a sick cham

If your cham is actively drinking you have no reason to use Pedialyte. It is really intended to be given (by syringe, dropper, or to help make bug juice) to a cham that is so ill it is NOT drinking or eating on its own. Dehydrated chams won't eat, so providing a source of some sugars (I know, not perfect but easy to get on short notice) and electrolytes may replace nutrients the cham needs. A cham drinking off leaves or a dripper doesn't need it. It will just coat the leaves and make a mess if misted.

but putting all that aside, would Gatorade be a bad substitute if you "had" to use something to help rehydrate a sick cham[/QUOTE]
In my opinion, yes. You can check the labels and compare but you can buy Pedilyte unflavored and as far as Gatorade goes, I won't even drink it, too much sugar.

LLLreptile sells a product called hydrolife. It is like $4 and is an electrolyte formula for reptiles and does not include the sugar. It has amino acids, electrolytes and vitamins that help dehydrated and anorexic chams. Check it out.

Justin

If your cham is severly dehydrated and not eating, Pedilyte is used to replace electrolytes that every living thing has. It is not meant to use regularly, but only in severe cases. It has boosted my cham back to drinking on it's own the one time I "had" to use it. Also if your cham is sick, it can aid in helping them along.
yes, that is true, but it is meant to use internally, not topically , plus pedialyte contains dextrose and fructose, the smaller an animals weight, the more these ingredients are of a concern, using it for babies, people or horses is one thing, chameleons is another (even a baby has a hundred times the body weight of most chams). im not saying it has zero application for chams but, it should always be used cautiously , conservatively, and never topically. the best thing to rehydrate a sick cham is clean water and good husbandry practices, if they had an abundance of them 2 things to begin with, in all likelyhood, they wouldnt need rehydrating./ jmo

Thanks every one for your input. Just to clarify, I had posted on another forum about my cham not eating and her back left leg not working, I thought she had fell from her branch and broke or sprang her leg. I then took her to the vet and they took two x-rays, showing her belly full of eggs but they couldn’t figure out why her leg wasn’t moving. He only told me that it might be the eggs pushing on her pelvis and maybe that was why she is having leg problems. So now she is in her nesting crib, I dug a tunnel for her knowing she would have great difficulty digging on her own since her leg problems. So far she has been in her “egg cave” twice and is drinking WATER off the leaves when I mist her. I can see she is very weak and I had read that Pedialyte can be used in a dripper for when they are looking not so hot. I only tried the Pedialyte/water mister once and yes it was a sticky mess. Any idea how long this egg laying can take for those who have female Veileds?

Back
Top Bottom