Pear trees

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
So this was talked about in another thread, but I can't remember which... So what's the word on using branches from these. I cut some off our pear tree and forgot that some fruit trees are toxic. I know cherries and apples were, not sure about pears..? I have Panthers that tend to gnaw on a branch every one and awhile too.

The safe plant lists leave a lot out, and the toxic lists includes many unnecessarily. Most plants seem to be toxic to a degree, but don't always harm reptiles. Like pothos are listed as toxic in the one list :/

Not trying to be an ass, I really do appreciate the help, but the lists are pretty vague IME

The safe plant lists leave a lot out, and the toxic lists includes many unnecessarily. Most plants seem to be toxic to a degree, but don't always harm reptiles. Like pothos are listed as toxic in the one list :/

Not trying to be an ass, I really do appreciate the help, but the lists are pretty vague IME

No worries I was kinda unsure about it also :p i mean it's a 50/50. I personally wouldn't risk it unless you found a dead on valid article stating that it's safe, sadly I couldn't find one

You said..."The safe plant lists leave a lot out, and the toxic lists includes many unnecessarily. Most plants seem to be toxic to a degree, but don't always harm reptiles. Like pothos are listed as toxic in the one list"....exactly...so either use the ones that people on this forum have used without incidence or risk one that we don't know and it will either be safe or your chameleon will show the results of it. I don't know how anyone can give you a definitive list when some things have not been tested. Some may be like peanuts to people...many can eat them and some die from it. Sometimes we just don't have an perfect answei.

IMHO this same concept of trial and error...learn from your mistakes...do the best we can applies to the nutritional values of insects and the appropriate supplements, lights, substrates, temperatures and a multitude of other things. All we can do is the best we can...learn from our mistakes...take studies with a grain of salt...etc. Wish I had a better answer for you.

So this was talked about in another thread, but I can't remember which... So what's the word on using branches from these. I cut some off our pear tree and forgot that some fruit trees are toxic. I know cherries and apples were, not sure about pears..? I have Panthers that tend to gnaw on a branch every one and awhile too.
Pear is OK. Some fruit trees in the Prunus genus (apple, cherry, peach, nectarine, apricot, etc) can produce different levels of cyanide, cherry and apricot in particular. There is a lot of speculation about some of them. I found this link to a "bird safe" wood site that may be useful because of the chewing risk. Generally, if you don't let them get at leaves, green bark or cambium, or fresh green twiglets they won't pick up too much.

http://www.birdsafe.com/woods.htm

@kinyonga I see what you're saying, I didn't mean it as a criticism, I like having the safe plant lists. I just meant for a lot of the stuff out there, people aren't really sure, the lists aren't the final word on the subject.

I think I have the same pear branches in my cages now somewhere. These ones don't have thorns either.

@jamest0o0 said..."I see what you're saying, I didn't mean it as a criticism, I like having the safe plant lists. I just meant for a lot of the stuff out there, people aren't really sure, the lists aren't the final word on the subject"...I never too it as critisim....just saying sometimes there's no definite answer and you can only learn by trial!and error...or play it safe maybe.

Back
Top Bottom