Peacock vs Veiled

LAcrowl

Hey everybody! My names Lexi and I'm new to this site. The last few weeks I've become really interested in chameleons and I'm looking to new one within the next month or so. I know there are many different species and I finially narrowed it down to Peacock Chameleons and Veiled Chameleons. It seems to me that veiled chameleons are much more common as household pets but I've found some owners of peacock chameleons as well. I'd really just like to know a little more about both and some compare/contrast characteristics of the two species. Id like to know which get larger, change color more, are more friendly, etc. If anybody can help me out it'd be greatly appreciated! THANKS SO MUCH!
Lexi :)

Welcome!

Both are lovely. Peacocks are tiny. Here's a picture of my full grown adult (I've had him for a year, he's been the same size...this is it, here's how big he is):

full

No, I am not a giant...in fact, I have somewhat small hands...so, he's little.

Peacocks don't do a lot of color changing...he's green, he's bright green, he's dark green, when things are ugly, he's green with dark green stripes....he does have very pretty blue markings around his head and the spots on his side sometimes have blue outlines (which, I think, is where the "peacock" comes from because it sort of looks like peacock feathers).

He's far and away the most benign chameleon I've owned. It's not like he runs to be with me, but he can be taken from the cage without hissing at me and he's never bitten me...I don't try to handle mine regularly so am not the best judge on that. Some people work with their chameleons to get them adjusted to handling. I have no idea whether you could do that with a Peacock because I've never tried.

I've only owned little chameleons....a few Fischers, one Rudi, one Peacock so can't do a comparison for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, welcome to the forum! :D

I really don't know anything about peacock chams, but I vote for getting a veiled. They are one of if not the hardiest species of chameleons. They are a large species and males can get as large as 24". You're taking a risk as far as temperament, but my veiled is absolutely lovely. He has never attempted to bite or really even hiss at me. Veileds have one of the most color diversities of the cham world, besides panthers. My vote goes for the veiled :D:D

Weidershemi ( peacock) are getting rare and need more attention also when kept under proper conditions can be very colorful. My vote is for weidershemi if you can find one.

Hey, Elizadolots could you tell me about your peacock chameleon? I'm thinking about possibly getting one. What temps do they live at?

LAcrowl what did you wind up getting?

Thanks!

Weidershemi ( peacock) are getting rare and need more attention also when kept under proper conditions can be very colorful. My vote is for weidershemi if you can find one.

Not sure I'd suggest this one for a newbie...as you say they are few and far between and not established well. If they were straightforward we'd have more around.

My vote would be for a veiled. Try to get one that's older so more of its personality is showing. Many veileds are just fine temperment-wise. My first male was totally nice.

You might have more luck finding a cbb carpet cham. They are pretty gorgeous too and don't get too large.

If I were you i would start with a veiled. Probably a juvenile female. Males are more agressive and can sometimes be harder to handle. Veileds are a great starter chameleon. It's honestly the first one I had and with having her I've learned a lot! The forums are always a great place to learn about your chams too! :) good luck!
P.s. I will have baby veileds being born in June

Welcome!

Both are lovely. Peacocks are tiny. Here's a picture of my full grown adult (I've had him for a year, he's been the same size...this is it, here's how big he is):

full

No, I am not a giant...in fact, I have somewhat small hands...so, he's little.

Peacocks don't do a lot of color changing...he's green, he's bright green, he's dark green, when things are ugly, he's green with dark green stripes....he does have very pretty blue markings around his head and the spots on his side sometimes have blue outlines (which, I think, is where the "peacock" comes from because it sort of looks like peacock feathers).

He's far and away the most benign chameleon I've owned. It's not like he runs to be with me, but he can be taken from the cage without hissing at me and he's never bitten me...I don't try to handle mine regularly so am not the best judge on that. Some people work with their chameleons to get them adjusted to handling. I have no idea whether you could do that with a Peacock because I've never tried.

I've only owned little chameleons....a few Fischers, one Rudi, one Peacock so can't do a comparison for you.

Where do you buy your peacock chameleon from?

Back
Top Bottom