Peace of mind (sick chameleon?)

Juliette

My chameleon Castle has recently been going to the bottom of his cage a lot, I wasn't too concerned since he's always been very active.

However, I noticed this was the second feeding he has missed a cricket (bad aim) he immediately gets embarrassed or upset and doesn't want to eat anymore and I have to come back in a few hours to try again.
He also has recently taken up what is almost like a sneeze? It's just a small puff of air and he's only done it a few times but it has caught my attention.
This may be normal behavior but being the paranoid mama I am, I just want some peace of mind! What do you all think of his recent behavior? Ty in advance!

Please answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread at the top of the health forum.
Please post a recent photo too.

Male panther chameleon, 2 years old - in my care since he was only maybe a month old.

I handle him VERY rarely, I try maybe once every two weeks to take him outside for an hour or so.

He eats about 10 crickets every other day- and about two meal worms every other day.
My feeders eat carrots and greens.
I dust them twice a month with d3 and twice a month with a multivitamin - they are dusted with calcium every feeding.

I have a dripping system throughout his cage, he often drinks straight from the hole in the tube instead of waiting for it to drip.

His feces is normal - never been tested for parasites -No medical history

Screen cage which is 2ft x 2ft x 4ft
UVB and plain house bulb 5.0

Basking temp is avg 85
Coldest temp is 72-75 - electronic thermometer

Live plants keep up humidity well, I mist the cage for about 2 minutes twice a day which I know should be more!

His plants: hibiscus, pothos, two umbrella plants.

Located near a glass door, no vents nor traffic.
I am located in central Florida.

Attachments

• IMG_2082.JPG
    IMG_2082.JPG
    284.3 KB · Views: 91
Do you notice any white crust around his nostrils? The "sneeze" could be him just excreting excess salts from the gland in there nasal cavity. What kind of water are you using? I found that when I switched from tap water to filtered water, my cham was no longer getting the white crust.

I would definitely not consider missing food as normal behavior. I don't see too much of an issue with the supplement schedule, so possibly a tongue injury? Also, how old are your supplements? (I don't think that is the issue, but just covering all the bases.)

Do you notice any white crust around his nostrils? The "sneeze" could be him just excreting excess salts from the gland in there nasal cavity. What kind of water are you using? I found that when I switched from tap water to filtered water, my cham was no longer getting the white crust.
I know what you are talking about and I had a past chameleon whom would have that crust, he is making the same sound yet no physical build up. I am using tap and I have fish water drops to condition, but I will try Purchasing a filter and seeing if it goes away! Thank you!

I would definitely not consider missing food as normal behavior. I don't see too much of an issue with the supplement schedule, so possibly a tongue injury? Also, how old are your supplements? (I don't think that is the issue, but just covering all the bases.)
I'll check his tongue later tonight, I don't think it's a tongue injury since his tongue is strong still (it grabbed the cup from my hand!) however he may just not be showing the pain. My supplements are probably about two years old, do they expire? I just made sure they were kept somewhere dry but didn't think to look for an expiration date.

Yes the supplements do get expired especially on the multivitamin after 2years on their imprint expiration date.

They can lessen in effectiveness over time.
Wow so maybe he is feeling under the weather because his supplements are off. I feel terrible! I am replacing them asap.
I made him an appointment with a reptile vet in the area, I'm hoping they are familiar with chameleons and I'm still going to take him in. Thank you

Wow so maybe he is feeling under the weather because his supplements are off. I feel terrible! I am replacing them asap.
I made him an appointment with a reptile vet in the area, I'm hoping they are familiar with chameleons and I'm still going to take him in. Thank you

It is a good idea to bring a copy of the caresheets with you if you do not know the vet's experience with chameleons. Just offer it for them to look over if they want to. I'm not sure if a vet is going to be able to diagnose anything specific from what you are describing, but I don't think it can hurt to get a checkup.

It is a good idea to bring a copy of the caresheets with you if you do not know the vet's experience with chameleons. Just offer it for them to look over if they want to. I'm not sure if a vet is going to be able to diagnose anything specific from what you are describing, but I don't think it can hurt to get a checkup.
I would rather be safe than sorry!
I am so concerned about mbd, it is my absolute biggest fear. To hear my calcium has been insufficient has me a little weary lol!

I would rather be safe than sorry!
I am so concerned about mbd, it is my absolute biggest fear. To hear my calcium has been insufficient has me a little weary lol!

Not sure calcium is the issue here. Like I said, I just want to cover all the bases. From the picture I don't see anything that would suggest MBD.

Not sure calcium is the issue here. Like I said, I just want to cover all the bases. From the picture I don't see anything that would suggest MBD.
Absolutely, you have been tons of help.

I just fed him a couple wax worms and his aim was fine, he was cautious though and really got close to line it up.
The first time he ever missed, which was weeks ago now, his tongue stuck to my hand and he bit me all in one swift motion and obviously freaked us both out! He's been so cautious ever since. Maybe he is just still nervous? He has a great memory, he has always been cup fed and my mother sneezed while she was holding his cup and gently bumped him and he hasn't eaten from the cup since lol!

I am just mostly concerned about him going to the bottom of his cage more often now?

Looks nice! Is there a light on the right side of the enclosure? Just my preference, but it would be better if the lights are at the top so he is better able to thermo-regulate. Is that a plant bulb? I only see a 5.0 and house bulb listed. If that is for basking I would definitely get it on top so your chameleon can get some cover under the leaves if needed. Also, as you stated, I would definitely mist a bit more often :).

Looks nice! Is there a light on the right side of the enclosure? Just my preference, but it would be better if the lights are at the top so he is better able to thermo-regulate. Is that a plant bulb? I only see a 5.0 and house bulb listed. If that is for basking I would definitely get it on top so your chameleon can get some cover under the leaves if needed. Also, as you stated, I would definitely mist a bit more often :).
The light on the side is a house lamp, I keep in close to his enclosure for a little extra warmth around the mid area of his cage, his lights are on top!
He has a uvb and house bulb.
And another row of house bulbs since his cage is entirely wire and it's HUGE it takes lots of bulbs to maintain his temps!

Back
Top Bottom