pc fan on bottom of enclosure

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hey guys I have a foam background and noticed water getting trapped at the bottom of the cage not evaporating. It looked a little mucky from the run off and such, along with the room he's in being like a rain forest as it is with a humidifier and lights running all day. I put a mini pc fan on a timer for a few hours at night aimed across the bottom panel of the cage. It has done a nice job of drying that all up at the bottom, but I wasn't sure if that could cause any problems so I figured I'd ask here. He doesn't seem bothered by it and the humidity doesn't seem to go under 45-50% ever.

I was looking for a timer that I could put on for intervals every few hours, but didn't see any at the store. Mine just goes on and off at certain times.

61632-2540307.jpg
this is what u need,, each pin is 15mins duration.....as for the cage maybe best is2 setup up a drainage system, anyways keep eye on humidity levels..

View attachment 176857
this is what u need,, each pin is 15mins duration.....as for the cage maybe best is2 setup up a drainage system, anyways keep eye on humidity levels..

That looks like a european style plug, not mention he said in the title he is using a PC fan. Pc fans generally run off of 12 volts DC.

Cheapest way would be to get a 120V timer from home depot. Then use any 12V power adapter anything like this would do the trick:
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Adapter-Supply-2-1mm-CCTV/dp/B00452YFZU

Either buy an adapter to match the plug on the end or solder them or make your own connector.

Your other option would be to use an arduino and program it.

I was looking for a timer that I could put on for intervals every few hours said:
im just showing him the ANALOG TIMER how it looks like.... most timer will be plug compliant to specific country or wherever he lives.:rolleyes:

he has to do the math and whatever he comes up with.. he needs to stick it to that timer so he can control his PC FAN.... ;)

If he wanted to get complicated an change the speed of the fan he could use an arduino.

The simplest solution would be to use an outlet timer like you suggested and a DC power supply.

If he wanted to get complicated an change the speed of the fan he could use an arduino.

The simplest solution would be to use an outlet timer like you suggested and a DC power supply.

download.jpg

agree.. this ANALOG timer is best simple solution...just find a old power AC-ADAPTER lying around...cut/splice the end hook to the PC FAN ...voila done..;)

Hey thanks for replies. I just meant is it bad to have a PC fan running across the bottom panel from 8-12 every night when lights go out? I read it can cause respiratory issues, but I just have it at the bottom to dry out the foam, it's not angled where he sleeps up top. I do have a drainage system, but the water just gets stuck back under my 'living wall' background. I was thinking it might be nicer to just run the fan throughout the day for shorter intervals than having it on for 4 hours at night, but so far it has done a good job of drying things out and with the humidifier the humidity still doesn't drop under 50%, goes to about 40% lowest when it's off, but during the day from misting it stays around 55-70%. I used to use the computer fan for cooling my reef aquarium and I just transferred it over to my cham's cage.

Too much humidity can cause URI's. Not enough humidity can cause URI. Mold and bacteria growth can cause URI's. If the fan is not waking up or disturbing the chameleon I would let it run at night. that way you know for sure it is 100% dry and not allowing mold or bacteria to grow.

So just to be clear, there's no issue with running the small fan for 4 hours a night? I have it leaning lightly against the screen sitting on the bottom outside of the cage, blowing air in and across the floor panel. Only reason I asked is because I read a bunch of older posts saying not use a fan, but otherwise I'll have water trapped behind not drying up.

If you are worried that the fan will disturb the chameleon, which it might. Then get a Brushless PC fan and use an arduino to control the speed. I personally feel allowing the enclosure to dry out at night is a good thing. I am fighting this issue right now.

Back
Top Bottom