Patience is not MY virtue - Olivander updates

maryanne27

Avid Member
Things I need to remember: Olivander is only 3.5 months old, and that I've only had him for about 2 weeks.

This is my mantra lately because I just want him to like me!!! Hahaha I want him to take tasty treats from my hand - or at least some tweezers. I want him to be ok with coming to me so I can let him have some time on a bigger plant outside of his cage for a change of scenery. I just want him to trust me. That definitely takes time and I need to keep telling myself that! So I just sit in the room near his cage and read. Ok I read these forums Haha starting with basics and just letting him get used to my presence.

Ugh... This adorable little guy has been teaching me patience since the day I decided to get him when he was just a few weeks old.

Anyways, here's a few pictures of little Olivander the Gracilior!
Yesterday I needed a good head shot and wanted to weigh him for updates to the fabulous breeder, jajeanpierre. He clearly wasn't thrilled with being picked up at first, but he handled it well. He is now 10 grams; was 8.55 when he came to me on May 4. Love those blues!!!
20160519_100847.jpg

20160519_100957.jpg

20160512_123201.jpg
20160512_122203.jpg

Thanks!! I'm obsessed with him already Haha
And guess what.... I had to move his cage today to paint the room he is in. I took him out so he wasn't jostled too much and put him on the schefflera. He actually tolerated me pretty well! He was gonna jump and explore it seemed so I stopped him. He just kinda chilled on my hand, crawled on my arm, didn't seem too stressed. Happy to go back to his cage once it was in place in another room though!
20160520_141050.jpg

Things I need to remember: Olivander is only 3.5 months old, and that I've only had him for about 2 weeks.

This is my mantra lately because I just want him to like me!!! Hahaha I want him to take tasty treats from my hand - or at least some tweezers. I want him to be ok with coming to me so I can let him have some time on a bigger plant outside of his cage for a change of scenery. I just want him to trust me. That definitely takes time and I need to keep telling myself that! So I just sit in the room near his cage and read. Ok I read these forums Haha starting with basics and just letting him get used to my presence.

Ugh... This adorable little guy has been teaching me patience since the day I decided to get him when he was just a few weeks old.

Anyways, here's a few pictures of little Olivander the Gracilior!
Yesterday I needed a good head shot and wanted to weigh him for updates to the fabulous breeder, jajeanpierre. He clearly wasn't thrilled with being picked up at first, but he handled it well. He is now 10 grams; was 8.55 when he came to me on May 4. Love those blues!!!
View attachment 158338
View attachment 158339
View attachment 158336 View attachment 158337
Great pictures he is absolutely a hunk what beautiful color and he is cute beyond words, lucky you

And guess what.... I had to move his cage today to paint the room he is in. I took him out so he wasn't jostled too much and put him on the schefflera. He actually tolerated me pretty well! He was gonna jump and explore it seemed so I stopped him. He just kinda chilled on my hand, crawled on my arm, didn't seem too stressed. Happy to go back to his cage once it was in place in another room though!
View attachment 158344

You be really careful handling him--graciliors (and quads) are known to take flying leaps into the air as a defense tactic. He's looking good.

You be really careful handling him--graciliors (and quads) are known to take flying leaps into the air as a defense tactic. He's looking good.

Oh I am super careful! I kept him close with a hand underneath. Then I ended up being completely useless when trying to move his cage to paint... told my husband I would put him in the little tree while we both moved the cage. Well, I put him in the tree and then got paranoid he was going to jump - Paul ended up having to move it all himself because I just sat and watched over Olivander until the cage was ready haha

Oh I am super careful! I kept him close with a hand underneath. Then I ended up being completely useless when trying to move his cage to paint... told my husband I would put him in the little tree while we both moved the cage. Well, I put him in the tree and then got paranoid he was going to jump - Paul ended up having to move it all himself because I just sat and watched over Olivander until the cage was ready haha

He'll settle down. Babies are particularly quick to bail.

Two weeks after I got my Blanche she bailed on me as we were walking to her outside tree she hit the ground and my heart crushed. Luckily she was perfectly fine just a little frazzled and very eager to be picked up off the ground. Ever since this she and I are much more careful. I can tell she remembers this, and for some reason seems more content to just sit on me. Our favorite thing to do, well my favorite thing is to sit outside and bask

Look who is warming up to the place!! The other day I left the cage door open and sat by it; after about 10 minutes he made his way out to me. He chilled on my arm for about a minute before looking a little stressed so back in he went. Same thing two days later but he came out quicker and I had to make him go back in after a minute or two. Today, Olivander was waiting on the door. Just after opening it he quickly climbed to the top and started cruising along. Only a moment's hesitation before he hopped on my finger and just hung out on my hand.

I think he is starting to trust me now. Only handling him when he comes to me (except for the 3 times I needed to move him) and never keeping him out too long seems to be working quite well!

20160531_141747.jpg
20160531_141621.jpg

*sigh* those blues! And the scale patterns! I'm in love with this species
20160531_141637.jpg

And he is NOT thrilled with the Great Dane. One second he is on the vine like normal, she bursts through the door, and the next second I just see feet and an eyeball haha
20160528_084745.jpg

O mylanta! He is adorable... now I think it would speed up progress, if possible, once he comes to you to take him outside for real sun time. My Blanche really comes alive when outside. I sit and read beside her atleast 1 hr a day. You have a beautiful little guy. Keep up the good work!

O mylanta! He is adorable... now I think it would speed up progress, if possible, once he comes to you to take him outside for real sun time. My Blanche really comes alive when outside. I sit and read beside her atleast 1 hr a day. You have a beautiful little guy. Keep up the good work!

Haha thanks! he really is adorable :love:
I would love to take him outside but it has been really hot here recently and he doesn't do well over mid-70s. One of these cooler sunny days it is gonna happen! Mister in tow, of course haha

View attachment 158344
He is fantastic!

Look who is warming up to the place!! The other day I left the cage door open and sat by it; after about 10 minutes he made his way out to me. He chilled on my arm for about a minute before looking a little stressed so back in he went. Same thing two days later but he came out quicker and I had to make him go back in after a minute or two. Today, Olivander was waiting on the door. Just after opening it he quickly climbed to the top and started cruising along. Only a moment's hesitation before he hopped on my finger and just hung out on my hand.

I think he is starting to trust me now. Only handling him when he comes to me (except for the 3 times I needed to move him) and never keeping him out too long seems to be working quite well!

View attachment 158937 View attachment 158939

*sigh* those blues! And the scale patterns! I'm in love with this species
View attachment 158940

And he is NOT thrilled with the Great Dane. One second he is on the vine like normal, she bursts through the door, and the next second I just see feet and an eyeball haha
View attachment 158941

Oh my, look at those blues @jpowell86 !

Do take him outside for a bit. Maybe in the morning. Even 5 minutes is good for him. One of those patio air conditioners (misters) can cool the air and raise the humidity. If he gets too hot or dried out, just put him back in his cage and throw the misters on for a long time. I have one that only exposes a tiny bit of skin to the sun but others (his mother) love the sun. They all dry out quickly, though.

Oh my, look at those blues @jpowell86 !

Do take him outside for a bit. Maybe in the morning. Even 5 minutes is good for him. One of those patio air conditioners (misters) can cool the air and raise the humidity. If he gets too hot or dried out, just put him back in his cage and throw the misters on for a long time. I have one that only exposes a tiny bit of skin to the sun but others (his mother) love the sun. They all dry out quickly, though.

Will do! He gets a little freaked still if I take him just across the room away from his cage, but we will work on that. I'll get his schefflerra all ready and maybe that will go over better. The dogs will be staying inside haha

Will do! He gets a little freaked still if I take him just across the room away from his cage, but we will work on that. I'll get his schefflerra all ready and maybe that will go over better. The dogs will be staying inside haha

You can put him in a little dark container to move him. I usually just hold them on one of my hands and cup my hand around them making a cage with my other hand so I'm not holding their bodies but they can't escape and they are in mostly darkness. Mine aren't pets, though. When I move really little babies, I move them on a stick with a tub/container underneath them with padding in it so if they leap off, they fall onto something a few inches below them that is soft and they can't get hurt or lost. Just make sure he can't wiggle out and leap off into space. And, yes, keep the Great Danes away!

I sometimes will just sit with them outside for a few minutes because I believe a little natural light is MUCH better than none. You'll notice if he is dehydrating because the skin loses it's plump, moist look to it. It just starts to look dry. They can dehydrate really quickly, but it is quickly resolved when you get them under a mister.

Just remember, babies--all babies including human babies--are wild things and much spookier than they become as adults. Just make sure he doesn't leap off and get hurt.

Back
Top Bottom