Pathos help

hailo

All pothos have either died or almost there in both my cham enclosures.:(

it looks like the was a white fuzz/cotton specs all over the leaves.

i want to get more but dont want this to happne again. is this from something i did wrong and if it does start how do i correct it?

anyhelp would be greatfull.

thank you!!

They had woolly aphids! Mine has the same, I tried everything to get rid of them but had to throw away the pothos in the end. I bought a new one and its thriving! Are there any other live plants in the enclosure? Check them too, but you should be fine just to get a new one.

Most pothos are ever living. Ive never been able to kill them. Infact i keep mine in pots above the cage, and the vines have gotten down to the water catch tubs so they are now self watering.

Im guessing you just got leaf rot from keeping them too moist from constant misting.

They had woolly aphids! Mine has the same, I tried everything to get rid of them but had to throw away the pothos in the end. I bought a new one and its thriving! Are there any other live plants in the enclosure? Check them too, but you should be fine just to get a new one.

If you get another one. Make sure you wash the leaves really good to remove any bugs that might be on it.

Woolly aphids are tricky bugs. In June we had do many flying in our back yard I had snowpocalypse flashbacks.

if it is from the misting system is there a way to keep the plants from dying?

i have silk plants in there too but on occasion i have seen both the male and females eat the leaves...on purpose??

ok i will get more...but what do i wash the leaves down with?

I have one plant left i will take a pic whan I get home.

Does this impact the animal at all? Elvis doesnt seem to be affected by it?

It sounds like your plant was infected when you bought it and it's not your fault
I would just wash the plant with water. Put it in your sink and gently rub and rinse the leaves with you fingers.
Also make sure your plant has enough light in your enclosure. I've found that the uvb bulb doesn't provide enough light for my plants so I also have a fluorescent bulb along with my UVB and my heat lamp.
If it is aphids it shouldn't bother your Cham.

if it is from the misting system is there a way to keep the plants from dying?

i have silk plants in there too but on occasion i have seen both the male and females eat the leaves...on purpose??

Repot them and make sure that the soil has plenty of drainage by adding perlite. Most of the soil of store bought plants don't have very good drainage because they are meant to hold water for long periods of time because they don't get watered very much. If you have a misting system the soil is probably holding too much water. Pothos plants don't mind water but they don't like their roots sitting in it and this will cause the roots to rot and your plant to die.

you guys are awesome i will go get some more today!!!

Graceland will be up and running again:D

It does sound like woolly aphids. I have them on a pothos sitting in a fish tank that I have at work. It really has not seemed to bother the plant at all. Every so often I wipe the leaves off with some rubbing alcohol, then rinse the leaves before I put it back in the tank. None of the leaves are in the water so I am not worried about it hurting the fish. I suspect that between this and poor drainage your pothos lost. I would remove all the live plants from the cage wipe them down with a gentle soap/water then rinse really well. You can improve the drainage by putting more holes in the bottom of the pot and add some sand with the potting soil. I would also add some of those water absorbing crystals to your mix.

Back
Top Bottom