PATHOLOGY OF THE REPTILE EYE AND OCULAR ADNEXA...

kinyonga

Chameleon Queen
I quoted most of the chameleon info from this site...

"A 9-week-old male Veiled Chameleon (Chamaeleo calyptratus) presented with an enlarging periocular swelling. The chameleon’s condition deteriorated quickly and it died within a week. On gross examination the retrobulbar venous sinus was expanded. The periocular swelling was speculated to be due to venous congestion from the heart. The histology identified poor mineralization of the skull bone and calcified, dystrophic foci in the heart. It was suspected that the lesions were due to an overdose of vitamin D leading to calcification of the myocardium and possibly heart failure."

"Pseudomonas species was isolated from a periorbital abscess that severely displaced and compromised function of the globe in a three-horned chameleon (Chamaeleo jacksonii)."

"A squamous cell carcinoma developed in the periocular skin of a veiled chameleon (Chamaeleo calyptratus).1 Complete surgical removal of the mass resulted in resolution until the animal’s death of unrelated cause 3 mo later."

"An Oustlet’s chameleon (Chamaeleo oustaleti) is described with a Foleyella spp. in a fluctuant swelling of an upper eyelid.52 Numerous unidentified nematode larvae were packed within the choroid of the eye of a red-eared slider (Pseudemys scripta elegans). The bloodstream was the suspected route of entry."

https://cdn.ymaws.com/members.arav.org/resource/resmgr/Files/Proceedings_2012/2012_045.pdf

Wow..someone messed him up in only 9 weeks :(

If the eye swelling was due to poor venous return, would it not be possible that this type of swelling could occur in other body parts? Radiographs would have picked up the calcifications in the heart.

Thank you for sending this type of info

Wow..someone messed him up in only 9 weeks :(

If the eye swelling was due to poor venous return, would it not be possible that this type of swelling could occur in other body parts? Radiographs would have picked up the calcifications in the heart.

Thank you for sending this type of info
You're welcome...I post any info like this that I come across. I always hope it will help someone on here...either the vets or the people keeping chameleons....or whoever else is interested!

Back
Top Bottom