Pascal has his eyes closed while basking

Ausskyati

image.jpg
Today, I noticed Pascal is basking under his light but he is closing his eyes while doing so.
They aren’t sunken at all, and he is eating and drinking. His poop is normal.
What could the issue be?
Is the bulb too bright?
He’s a veiled chameleon
He’s in a 16x16x30 screen cage
His humidity sits around 60-80% through the day
He’s misted 3 or 4 times a day
He is eating crickets daily and wax worms every other day as a little treat. Dusting w/o D3 calcium every day, multivitamin once a month, calcium with D3 2 times a month.
His lights are a 75 watt day bulb and a UVB 5.0 compact bulb.
Attached is a picture of what he’s doing

It is NOT normal for a chameleon to close its eyes during the day. I am thinking the culprit is the compact bulb. Chameleons do better with linear ones that run the length of the cage. There are better treats than wax worms, Try a horn, silk, or a ,butter worm.

He seems fine now. If he keeps doing it, I’ll switch to a linear bulb. But I’ve had him for a month and a half almost and this was the first day he did it.

Chameleons are very good at hiding when they are sick. You may think he is fine, and maybe he is, but sleeping during the day is not a good sign

If I get the linear bulb, do I run it across horizontally or diagonally, corner to corner?
Is the compact bulb too concentrated?

100% wrong. Don’t go around giving people advice if you don’t know what your talking about.

Any cham sleeping during the day needs medical attention.
He stopped doing that not long after I posted the thread, but I still wanted to see what everyone had to say.
Of he does it tomorrow, should I change the bulb/ setup and see if that fixes it before taking him to a vet?

I think every chameleon needs a good check up when you get them. Compact bulbs are notorious for causing eye issues. I and another member have told you what to do. Please watch him and look for the signs of being sick....sleeping during the day is one.

I think every chameleon needs a good check up when you get them. Compact bulbs are notorious for causing eye issues. I and another member have told you what to do. Please watch him and look for the signs of being sick....sleeping during the day is one.

For the linear bulb, it’s a 5.0 UVB bulb, right?

100% wrong. Don’t go around giving people advice if you don’t know what your talking about.

Any cham sleeping during the day needs medical attention.
Baby chameleons CAN and DO sleep/take naps during the day. If it was an adult it may be a different story, all of the baby’s other signs are good and making someone panic and telling them that their pet could be seriously ill is stupid. Some of mine have napped in the day with no health problems.
And as it’s not a long period of sleep and it’s not all of the time then it is probably taking a nap. Its tiring when they are growing so don’t try and tell me I don’t know what I am talking about.

Baby chameleons CAN and DO sleep/take naps during the day. If it was an adult it may be a different story, all of the baby’s other signs are good and making someone panic and telling them that their pet could be seriously ill is stupid. Some of mine have napped in the day with no health problems.
And as it’s not a long period of sleep and it’s not all of the time then it is probably taking a nap. Its tiring when they are growing so don’t try and tell me I don’t know what I am talking about.
Does Pascal look like a baby to you?

Back
Top Bottom