Pascal-9 weeks old(3-4 inches) refusing to eat or drink

Catlea17

Hi, I have a chameleon we just go last week. He's tiny, about 3-4 inches.
Chameleon is a Veiled, we've had him for five days.
We have handled him three times. Once to put him in and two times to try and take him outside. He didn't seem to enjoy it so we put him back in his cage.
Part of the issue I have is that he hasn't eaten much since we got him( from petsmart) he's eaten a total of about SEVEN pinhead crickets since we got him, he refuses the super worms altogether.
On the third day he ate three, we were encouraged yet yesterday and today he hasn't touched his food at all. We try two crickets at a time. They are dusted with repti calcium without d3. Crickets are being fed carrots and kale. Haven't even gotten to where I can alternate with a vitamin supplement.

Watering I do is misting by hand, I stay at home while my husband works so I mists him for about 2 min every hour and half to two hrs. I've seen him drink and drink a lot. But since yesterday I have not.

Fecal matter, sad to say he's only pooped about three times, they are white and brown(kinda gooey like a birds)
He wasn't very active and kept his eyes closed from the start but we hoped that was just him adjusting. He's super lethargic and his eyes were closed a lot. After the third day he was eating more and drinking. Was getting more active. Then my cat sat next to his cage. We kept him away for the most part. He didn't even notice our new friend but I think he freaked him out.
He has a dripper, a uv bulb, a moonlight bulb and a basking light. Basking is between 80-85 degrees Fahrenheit and the humidity is between 50-60%
He also has two live golden pothos in his cage alone with some silk and plastic leaves to conceal him. Vines and branches are plastic( though he has two bird branches in there made of wood)

I'm really worried and scared for pascal.
Please is there anything I can do now? He hasn't really moved and just looks miserable. I'm gonna see about a vet but I just don't know if he's just not happy with us period.
He also opens his mouth and rears his head back every so often? I read that's like a sign of back off so we do when he does that. Sending two pictures of the setup and him tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_0220.JPG
    IMG_0220.JPG
    294.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0219.JPG
    IMG_0219.JPG
    270.2 KB · Views: 137
I'm by no means an expert on health, but your cham definitely looks to be sick. Probably with parasites, but I can't say for sure. There are more questions to be answered, but a vet visit is probably necessary. Closed eyes are a bad sign, very skinny, runny stool, and being from petsmart(which treat their animals pretty terrible) are all warning signs.

Gah exactly what I was hoping wasn't the case. I don't really know any good reptile vets here in Houston. But I will look and see if I can take him tomorrow! Any suggestions on what to pack him in? I don't want him stressed. Poor thing has been through enough!

He has his eyes closed most of the time for the first two days, third day he perked up. Was actually active and stayed awake more though still had his eyes closed part of the time. He does open them from time to time. More so now than before but today he reverted to eyes closed most of the day. Is there a reason to do away with it the night light? I'm afraid to not have it with him being sick if it helps him stay warm

It's hard for it to sleep with the light on. It's usually advised that you use a heat emitter "bulb" if you need heat at night.
It might be the UVB light that is making him shut his eyes.

he also looks like he could eat small sized crickets maybe pinheads are too small for him to see or be interested in. There also looks to be a brown spot under his arm in the first picture, what is that?

You said...He also rears his head back every so often....when he's drinking or just any time?
If it's when he's drinking it's likely OK...if it isn't then it's likely a problem.
What UVB light do you use? Long linear or compact? Brand?

I don't know what the brown spot is, he came with it home, I thought it was a piece of his habitat before.but it stick around and got bigger. And he reared back his head when he's not drinking as well.

Unfortunately it looks like it was just too much for him. He passed away last night. I'm heartbroken. Honestly don't know what happened but thank you guys for trying to help. I'm almost too afraid to try again.

You sound like a potentially great keeper that cares. Your major mistake was purchasing from pet smart, I'm sorry for your loss.

Edit: just read that and it sounded cold, but didn't mean it that way. Don't get down on yourself or be discouraged because of it is all I'm saying. Petco, pet smart, and most pet stores take horrible care of their animals. They are usually sick and dying.

Thank you, I didn't see it coming off as cold by the way so no worries on that. I do think I'm gonna go ahead and take him back and then research a bit more before I feel comfortable again on getting another one. I did look at chameleon breeders in my area, couldn't find any so went to petsmart thinking I was lucky to find them there. Blah. I'm seriously bummed. Thank you again for trying to help me, I'll post if we decide to get another one.

Consider ordering online from a breeder in the future, they are amazing quality and so many great family business out there! Goodluck

I don't know what the brown spot is, he came with it home, I thought it was a piece of his habitat before.but it stick around and got bigger. And he reared back his head when he's not drinking as well.

Unfortunately it looks like it was just too much for him. He passed away last night. I'm heartbroken. Honestly don't know what happened but thank you guys for trying to help. I'm almost too afraid to try again.

I'm very sorry for your loss--not a nice introduction to chameleons, that's for sure.

This poor baby was in gravely ill before you bought him. You bought a sick animal and didn't recognize it. What novice would? This happened long, long before you got him. It's nothing you did.

If I were you, I would be returning (with his body) to the seller and demanding my money back.

Chameleons are very hardy if you give them what they need. I hope you don't quit on chameleon keeping. Next time, buy a healthy chameleon from a reputable source.

Again, sorry for your loss and your heartbreak. I can't imagine having that kind of a brutal introduction to chameleons.

Thank you, I didn't see it coming off as cold by the way so no worries on that. I do think I'm gonna go ahead and take him back and then research a bit more before I feel comfortable again on getting another one. I did look at chameleon breeders in my area, couldn't find any so went to petsmart thinking I was lucky to find them there. Blah. I'm seriously bummed. Thank you again for trying to help me, I'll post if we decide to get another one.

I think it is pretty rare to buy chameleons from a local breeder. Usually you find a breeder you are comfortable dealing with and have the baby shipped to you by FedEx Overnight Priority.

A good breeder supports you before and after you buy your baby and they stand behind their product.

Veiled chameleons wholesale at $8 apiece. There just isn't enough money in it for many dedicated breeders to be able to raise healthy babies without taking a huge loss. Most veileds are bought through big stores like PetSmart. These babies are mass produced from unhealthy mothers who are culled after their first clutch. Many veiled chameleons hatch--that's right, hatch!--with metabolic bone disease because their mother was so poorly nourished when she produced her eggs.

Look to other species and avoid wild caughts at all costs.

Because of your horrible first experience, make sure you are buying from a very experienced breeder. You don't want to buy from a "breeder" who is selling their first clutch of babies that they produced from their first two chameleons. You need someone who is experienced and knowledgeable about the species. You definitely do not want a repeat of your first experience.

Again, I am sorry for your loss.

Thank you so much! Really needed to hear/read that. We have decided to give it one more try! The responses on here have really made me want to give it a go with a healthy one. I fell in love with pascal pretty hard. We saw a breeder online called tikitikireptile?
Also found a reptile store( not in my area but close enough) that has a breeder who sells them to them. Says the breeder has been doing it for 15 years and they have had no complaints about the chameleons they have sold.
Going to go look at what she has but wanted thoughts on tiki from the ones who have helped me before going to make a decision. Should I even bother going to this reptile store??
Also went back to petsmart and returned my poor little guy, got my money back. I said a few things to the manager about the chameleons they had left. Hopefully they look into what I said. Probably not but still.
I honestly never imagined that people would do something like that to chameleons. My little pascal didn't deserve that.

Make sure you clean the cage out well before putting another chameleon in it.

Sorry for your loss. It's sad but I doubt there was anything you could do about it.

Back
Top Bottom