Parsons keepers that brumate- question

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello all, haven't been here in awhile. Baby, wife, school, work, etc been taking up most of my time. Checking on here along with everything else was getting to be too much(can probably tell from some of my old posts heh) so I simplified some things to ease the stress a bit. Anyway, hope everyone is doing well.

Have had a concern that's been nagging at me over my YL. He's been brumating for the past couple months. Hasn't eaten as expected, temps ranging from 50 to mid 60s throughout the week. Shortened misting slightly/lower humidity, and cut back lights to fit the natural sunrise/sunset. I have his heat lamp pop on for a couple hours a day, though he never uses it. Also the bright plant LEDs only come on for a few hours a day as well. So getting to my question, he nestles himself in the back corner of the cage in the dry section. He picks a spot and stays there for weeks at a time which is normal IME. Problem is, he doesn't move to get water or drink much. Now I'm getting worried about it. When it's warm he loves the misters, gets water readily, etc. But during brumation he stays in a dry/darker area(I even angled the uvb a little towards him because he kept moving out of the light...). Hasn't taken to drippers in the past, but I could try again. Foggers have me skeptical due to RI potential and the humidity not being naturally high where they're from this time of year, only other things would be angle misters around the entire cage, shower him, or lastly let him decide when he wants water. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

James

It is difficult to say without actually being there. However although he is burmating I would have a go at figuring a way for your Yellow Lip Calumma parsonii parsonii to have a decent drink or decent go at a drink every other day. That could be moving the misters, changing the perches, or moving him to a hydration room of some type (Shower). I recommend when your Yellow Lip Calumma parsonii parsonii starts to drink allow him to drink as much as possible.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

James

To elaborate a bit more that should be a supplemental misting to go along with your regular misting. Madagascar's winter or burmation time for Calumma parsonii parsonii is the dry season as well for East Coast Madagascar. However drinking is extremely important that I would recommend supplemental watering every other day. Especially if you are not witnessing any normal drinking behavior from you Yellow Lip Calumma parsonii parsonii normal watering schedule.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

James

To elaborate a bit more that should be a supplemental misting to go along with your regular misting. Madagascar's winter or burmation time for Calumma parsonii parsonii is the dry season as well for East Coast Madagascar. However drinking is extremely important that I would recommend supplemental watering every other day. Especially if you are not witnessing any normal drinking behavior from you Yellow Lip Calumma parsonii parsonii normal watering schedule.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Thank you Jeremy.

I decided to do that, I nudged him a little bit just towards the misters and now hes hanging out under them getting water. He doesn't mind the water at all, but occasionally he picks a dry spot and stays there without going over to to get water on his own(only does this when the temps are cold).

Any thoughts on the UVB? He seems to avoid the light a lot as well during this time.

Welcome back @jamest0o0 ! I don't have a Parsons but absolutely wish I could fit one so I am no help to your question but you helped me a lot when I was first starting out so I was glad to see you back. Thanks for the help back then.

Glad to see people still around, hope the cham hobby has been going well for ya!

Back
Top Bottom