Parson's Chameleon

tkilgour

So what are some of your expert opinions....is the parson's chameleon a rewarding chameleon to keep? (considering it is for experienced keepers and very expensive):)

not to mention absolutely no one is going to talk about parsons. They have their own secret society and dont like taling to the open public for fear of scrutiny and security and safety for themselves and their animals. There have been countless threads like this and trust me there will be many more but unfortunately parsons owners rarely chat.

Lol....good point, your right on a chameleon forum everyone is going to say they are great. However, on a serious note they do require more care and they are very expensive. I am just curious to know what other opinions are about the parsons, i guess.

not to mention absolutely no one is going to talk about parsons. They have their own secret society and dont like taling to the open public for fear of scrutiny and security and safety for themselves and their animals. There have been countless threads like this and trust me there will be many more but unfortunately parsons owners rarely chat.

Must be why such extreme costs...you have to buy into the secret club

Most parsonii keepers couldn't care less about scrutiny from others regarding parsonii. Typically they are very experienced keepers who are well versed in chameleon care and are well aware of any controversy around them. There are always exceptions but most are very conscious of the history of this species in captivity, the challenges associated with working with them and very few take them for granted at all.

As far as "security and safety for themselves and their animals" is concerned, that is an unfortunate but real issue. There have been parsonii keepers in the past who have been very upfront with their collections only to have their home broken into and their animals stolen from fellow forum or listserve members (not this forum, thankfully).

Many parsonii keepers, particularly on this forum, are quite willing to share their experience and photos of their parsonii. The problem is a thread like this comes up once every couple months and rarely with any specific question. The search function should yield a lot of photos and discussion on parsonii from various members who work with them. I've been lucky enough to work with parsonii since 2003. If you have specific questions, particularly that haven't already been discussed, I'm sure either I or another member would be glad to help.

To answer your initial question, C. parsonii are very rewarding animals to work with but they can also be heart breaking. With breeding being so rare and difficult, working so hard with an animal only to fail 99.99% of the time can be hard but they are amazing animals to see every day and work with.

Chris

Most parsonii keepers couldn't care less about scrutiny from others regarding parsonii. Typically they are very experienced keepers who are well versed in chameleon care and are well aware of any controversy around them. There are always exceptions but most are very conscious of the history of this species in captivity, the challenges associated with working with them and very few take them for granted at all.

As far as "security and safety for themselves and their animals" is concerned, that is an unfortunate but real issue. There have been parsonii keepers in the past who have been very upfront with their collections only to have their home broken into and their animals stolen from fellow forum or listserve members (not this forum, thankfully).

Many parsonii keepers, particularly on this forum, are quite willing to share their experience and photos of their parsonii. The problem is a thread like this comes up once every couple months and rarely with any specific question. The search function should yield a lot of photos and discussion on parsonii from various members who work with them. I've been lucky enough to work with parsonii since 2003. If you have specific questions, particularly that haven't already been discussed, I'm sure either I or another member would be glad to help.

To answer your initial question, C. parsonii are very rewarding animals to work with but they can also be heart breaking. With breeding being so rare and difficult, working so hard with an animal only to fail 99.99% of the time can be hard but they are amazing animals to see every day and work with.

Chris

Thanks chris, I have heard about the challenges of the parsons chameleon. I am an avid chameleon owner, but never parsonii. I appreciate your kindness and willingness to help. I would love to own one but would be so depressed if something went wrong. If I have specific questions I will contact you. I would like to see some peoples photos if they have any.

As Chris said there are many topics about them here. You just need to search a bit
I'm trying to breed them at the moment, I brought my female yesterday to a guy with a big and nasty boy ;), so if everything went right she's gravid in a week or so :)

wow good luck w/ those babies send me some pics when they arrive. I think they are such cool chameleons, just soooooo expensive. I have been reading about them and the care is much more intense it seems.

Also, OMG forum haters were actually breaking into people homes and stealing others parsonii, thats crazy.

Also, OMG forum haters were actually breaking into people homes and stealing others parsonii, thats crazy.

It was a number of years ago on one of the old email lists. Very unfortunate situation and didn't help increase public communication about parsonii care.

Chris

I think they are such cool chameleons, just soooooo expensive.

Smuggling them out of Madagascar, shipping from country to country to country...., bribes for CITES export permits, etc costs more than bringing in animals legally. The species has been suspended from being exported from its natural home for 14 years. NO ONE is still breeding Parson's from bloodlines exported prior to CITES trying to protect them from the pet trade. Therefore, they are expensive. Personally, I stick to the species that aren't involved in the black market.

This photo IS copyrighted!.lolz

parsongal_000.jpg

How's she doing Andersonii?

Nice cham lost lake....you said poor guy went blind OH NO! He is ver pretty. I agree black market is a skeptical area to deal in.

They are very interesting, I've had the pleasure of seeing a few in person. As far as shipping them from country to country good luck with that. It's very easily done but if caught you'll be going away for a long time. I've been offered animals from all over shipped here with fake paper work and what not. I steer clear! The people overseas don't care, Our goverment sure does and I'm happy they do!

John

I have wanted a parsons since i saw a beautiful girl in a pet shop. She was a store pet , Long story short she sold for $300.....it still makes me mad. i will have parsons one day.....but not till im ready and i have the ability to give he/she ample space

This isn't a slight on the OPer...

But most avid keepers know that a parson chameleon is tough... and would understand working with a chameleon not many people work with, would be rewarding. So in my head, asking a sort of 'lame' question doesn't speak much of the person who is asking, causing the avid keepers to pass the thread up and think the person is a bit niave. Maybe it is just me, but I think this is why not many discussions get very far on the forum.

I think it is best to dig up old threads and pump some life back into them. I guess sometimes people just don't like to read. :eek:

wow, they are such beautiful creatures. that is an amazing specimen you have there lost lakes.

She's actually mine. Josh was over at one point and took some pics of her. I appreciate the compliment though.

I have wanted a parsons since i saw a beautiful girl in a pet shop. She was a store pet , Long story short she sold for $300.....it still makes me mad. i will have parsons one day.....but not till im ready and i have the ability to give he/she ample space

Are you sure she was a Parson's? Parson's typically sell fo $2000-$3000+ each, are very rare and basically never seen in pet shops. Are you sure it wasn't a female Panther Chameleon?

Chris

Back
Top Bottom