Parsonii Rehabilitation

I hope one day I'll be able to rescue Parsons. However right now I just need to learn more about keeping healthy ones alive >.< Jacksons and veiled rescues are enough right now. Panther rescues would be nice on occasion, however very few people have problems with panthers because they are so expensive. She is turning around very nicely, I hope she stops having the crashes, that she continues to climb and is eventually good enough to be considered healthy. I hope one day she can live as full of a life as she can.

If there is anyone in the Texas area that has a Cham they cannot care for, please please contact me. I will take it( some questions asked) but I will take it no matter what. Please contact me. This just hurts my heart, I'll take any that need a home

Joel, it is incredibly courageous of you to even take on a project like this!!! Especially when you know the best case scenario is so bleak.
HUGE KUDOS TO YOU! I don't think I could attempt such a huge undertaking.

Thanks Bob. I was not ecstatic about taking her for obvious reasons..but I couldn't just leave her either. I figured I would at least give it a run.

Let me cheer you up then.

I had one male given to me back in 88 that was pretty much like yours. In the end he lived another 8 years and weighed over 1000g. I miss him to this day but he was a rescue. Gatoraid mixed with water is your friend for that, your bug mash is a good thing, I used chicken baby food blended with water/gatoraid. Despite the size of the animal I only trickled food down the throat of mine twice a day, just 3cc's. He was showered once a day for hydration. Temps were kept stable in the mid 70's. Humidity around 60% with mistings, stuff you already know. It took me nearly three months before I actually realized the animal had made it. If you let a $80 gold dust day gecko loose near it and she eats it.... well you're in the clear. At least I was of course I didn't know back then they would eat a gecko.....

Make sure she gets some B1 by the way. Just a little twice a month in addition to what you're already doing

That's great to hear. I have been administering 5cc's of water cut with pedialyte. I'm curious if Gatorade would hold benefits over the pedialyte?

That's interesting about the baby chicken food. I will have to check that out as well. Thanks for that info. I'm almost certain B1 was amongst the things given during examination. I will call and check.

He ate a day gecko! Bittersweet!

That's great to hear. I have been administering 5cc's of water cut with pedialyte. I'm curious if Gatorade would hold benefits over the pedialyte?

That's interesting about the baby chicken food. I will have to check that out as well. Thanks for that info. I'm almost certain B1 was amongst the things given during examination. I will call and check.

Yeah I wasn't happy about the $80 meal. I had let the gecko loose to help deal with loose feeders, didn't think it would become a feeder. . .

Pedialyte or Gatorade. Both work well. The liquid chicken was a good source of protein, I know for a fact these larger chams do eat...well... larger food items with a bit of meat on them. Either way, it worked for me and it's worked on other animals when given in small amounts. Keep up the effort!

Joel, until now I have been lucky enough not to of ever seen an animal involved in the wc trade ( i know they arent all that bad) but that has shocked me beyond all compare- It's unforgivable that an animal is allowed to get that bad, tragic but thank God you have got her- she can at least have the best of care now even if the outcome isnt what you want. You are a saint to take her on and care for her. My heart bleeds for her and I wish you all the best with her.

Best of luck with her Joel. No matter what happens, I am so glad you stepped up for this girl.
So far, amazing turnaround.

Deb

Joel I have faith in you...the chameleon gods are with you bro... it's a shame you have individual who purchasing these animals that doesn't know what they're getting into it's the 90" again.. Sorry for getting of the topic...

You could try pure coconut water, but I'd avoid Gatorade. I had luck with pedialyte, but coconut water lacks the colors, refined sugars, flavors, and other junk, plus offers up potassium, which surely is depleted.

B1 and all the B vitamins are water soluble so won't last longer than a day or so. I'm sure you know that.

Joel, until now I have been lucky enough not to of ever seen an animal involved in the wc trade ( i know they arent all that bad) but that has shocked me beyond all compare- It's unforgivable that an animal is allowed to get that bad, tragic but thank God you have got her- she can at least have the best of care now even if the outcome isnt what you want. You are a saint to take her on and care for her. My heart bleeds for her and I wish you all the best with her.

Thanks Tabitha. It is hard to see such a magnificent species in this rough of shape.

B1 and all the B vitamins are water soluble so won't last longer than a day or so. I'm sure you know that.

Right, but I don't know the volume of B1 given. I know excess will be passed via urate, but too much administered can cause side effects like gastric pain. That is definitely something I don't need her to experience right now.

Right, but I don't know the volume of B1 given. I know excess will be passed via urate, but too much administered can cause side effects like gastric pain. That is definitely something I don't need her to experience right now.

How do we know that? Just asking but last time I checked my chams couldn't point to their tummy and say "ow".

Have you tried reptiboost before it could help give her a little boost energy wise plus its mixed with water to help hydrate best of luck !

How do we know that? Just asking but last time I checked my chams couldn't point to their tummy and say "ow".

That is a very common side effect of B1 overdose. I find it very easy to tell when a chameleon is in pain. They don't point and say "ow", but they display actions, coloration, behavior that isn't typical of a healthy specimen.

That's why I am leery to give her anything that could shock her right now. Plus B1 effects the nervous system and cardiac functions, which inherently aren't where they need to be right now.

It's all just a crap shoot right now. You've been doing this for a long time. Like you, when I looked at her, I saw an animal that had a couple days of life left. I am shocked she is still here. But, I am also not going to prolong any suffering. If she doesn't show any marked improvements beyond stabilizing for a couple of hours after administering fluids, then common sense tells me she has renal issues that are too advanced. I will have to dispatch her at that point.

But, that is much better than dying slow and painfully in someone else's hands that can't see the difference I suppose.

That is a very common side effect of B1 overdose. I find it very easy to tell when a chameleon is in pain. They don't point and say "ow", but they display actions, coloration, behavior that isn't typical of a healthy specimen.

That's why I am leery to give her anything that could shock her right now. Plus B1 effects the nervous system and cardiac functions, which inherently aren't where they need to be right now.

It's all just a crap shoot right now. You've been doing this for a long time. Like you, when I looked at her, I saw an animal that had a couple days of life left. I am shocked she is still here. But, I am also not going to prolong any suffering. If she doesn't show any marked improvements beyond stabilizing for a couple of hours after administering fluids, then common sense tells me she has renal issues that are too advanced. I will have to dispatch her at that point.

But, that is much better than dying slow and painfully in someone else's hands that can't see the difference I suppose.

I do hear and agree with you, however I'd still say give it a good three months. If she doesn't recover by then to where she doesn't need all the extra help, well three months is it.

Back
Top Bottom