Parrot/parakeet cages for outside?

Christel

As I have a variety of these cages, is there any reason why she (veiled chameleon) should *not* be allowed outdoor time in these? She will be big enough to not escape by the time the weather is good enough for this. As for any insects escaping, the game plan is to take her outside after breakfast, so no problems there.
Thoughts?

Its what i do. I have a ferret cage on wheels. For babies, i have a parakeet cage wrapped in screen door material that the bottom comes off of easily.

I will say this, its alot easier to get them into the cage than out of it. That cham is not coming out of the front door any time soon, so make sure its easy to remove the top/bottom. My ferret cage as a 18" door at the bottom and the second level, so its real easy for me to reach in and get them, worst case they grab the side while getting the hand ride.

As regards outdoor cages, my situation is all kinds of annoying:

My next door neighbor is a big time bird feeder, so there are always tons of birds around, crapping on everything in my yard as they pass to and from the neighbors feeding stations.

My fence between our properties is painted white, and not from paint. Ugh!

Anyway, this congregation of birds always seems to bring in some very large hawks that perch in our trees hoping for an easy meal.

I am so concerned about both the stress that these predators may put on my chams, and the remote possibility that these dirty birds could gift my cages and chams with parasites or bacteria that I just can't justify getting them outside, no matter how much I really would like to get them into natural sunlight.

I know, I know, many of you argue until you are blue in your virtual faces about how local parasites can't infect our chams in this area, but as a long time fish breeder I can't tell you the number of times in my life when birds have been the cause of mass die-offs in outdoor stock tanks and ponds for me. It's enough to make me leery of the situation, no matter what your argument to the contrary.

Back to topic: I hope your outdoor setup is pretty much bird free!

Its what i do. I have a ferret cage on wheels. For babies, i have a parakeet cage wrapped in screen door material that the bottom comes off of easily.

I will say this, its alot easier to get them into the cage than out of it. That cham is not coming out of the front door any time soon, so make sure its easy to remove the top/bottom. My ferret cage as a 18" door at the bottom and the second level, so its real easy for me to reach in and get them, worst case they grab the side while getting the hand ride.
I have a cage I made for outside time that is on wheels. Drake's indoor cage has full double doors so I just open a door,wheel the outside cage to the front and but a branch across like a little bridge and let him walk across and get in by himself.
Reverse procedure the way back inside. No hassle-No stress.

Back
Top Bottom