parasite or bug?

JapSolum

so I was cleaning out my cricket/dubia enclosure and found a bunch of these little bugs in there. never had any kind of worms in that tank before, so now I'm thinking I gotta dump all the crickets and dubia I had if this is parasitic. first pic is really zoomed in for detail, second one is for a size reference next to my finger. anybody know what this is or how it got in there? I dont know if the close up is going to upload right but I'm posting anyway
20180513_184121.jpg

Attachments

• 20180513_184053.jpg
    899.3 KB · Views: 81
Dermestid larvae. They come with crickets sometimes because they keep the cricket bins clean. Btw I wouldn't keep roaches with crickets unless you're feeding them off fast. Parasites would be in the insects, you'd likely not see them.

yeah kinda thought if I can see it probably not a parasite but I've seen dog worms and stuff so I wanted to be cautious, thanks I usually feed most of what I have weekly, I don't have full blown colonies or anything. but any reason to not keep them together? they seem to leave each other alone. and they're gut loaded and housed about the same right?

Well if you wanted to get the most out of your colony reproducing I'd keep them separate. But if you're just feeding it shouldn't matter much. Crickets are very dirty and carry all types of stuff, I just wouldn't want that to mix with my colonies. And yeah some parasites you can see, but they're usually in the cham's poop at that point.

gotcha, think I might start a roach colony one day, and would definitely keep that separate. but with one juvenile it seems like more work than it's worth, and I think I'd end up with too many. now when I can talk wifey into getting a panther that might be another story.

Yeah I get that, just to let you know though, roach colonies are extremely simple. Easier than dealing with crickets. Just throw egg flats and food in a bin with a little heat and roaches take off, no maintenance other than feeding them once and awhile.

Back
Top Bottom