Parakeets color?

I would like to update y’all the blue one is more friendly than the other he/she loves to come out and play but the other one doesn’t like to play. Why would one me nice and Trained but not the other one?

FYI for future bird purchases. Many people will get with a breeder and before the bird is weened sell to new owner. This way the bird is imprinted 1. with humans from the breeder and 2. imprinted on humans for food.

Not sure how yours were raised or if one had a bad experience making him/her not as desirable.

Glad things are going okay. Also, birds do get protective and jealous. (y)

FYI for future bird purchases. Many people will get with a breeder and before the bird is weened sell to new owner. This way the bird is imprinted 1. with humans from the breeder and 2. imprinted on humans for food.

Not sure how yours were raised or if one had a bad experience making him/her not as desirable.

Thanks I got the blue one almost completely trained the green one is going to take more time

Nope that's against the law in CA since 2004.

Well, I am glad they live in Mississippi then. (y)

Thanks, google search--- had no idea since all the birds I had were before 2000 and not in Ca.

"Only one state, California, has passed legislation making it illegal for pet stores and vendors at bird marts and swap meets to sell unweaned baby birds. This law (CA Bill AB202) will take effect Sept. 1, 2004. In all other states, it is still legal to buy unweaned baby birds from pet stores."

Guess I would go to another state to pick up then. :unsure: I would also have to look into if a breeder would be considered a vender. That is just the way I am.

Last edited:
Thanks I got the blue one almost completely trained the green one is going to take more time
Ps do you know gender? Females are generally much feistier and some never tame that well.
Well, I am glad they live in Mississippi then. (y)

Thanks, google search--- had no idea since all the birds I had were before 2000 and not in Ca.

"Only one state, California, has passed legislation making it illegal for pet stores and vendors at bird marts and swap meets to sell unweaned baby birds. This law (CA Bill AB202) will take effect Sept. 1, 2004. In all other states, it is still legal to buy unweaned baby birds from pet stores."

Guess I would go to another state to pick up then. :unsure: I would also have to look into if a breeder would be considered a vender. That is just the way I am.
Yes I should have elaborated, sorry.

But really as long as the bird is handfed by someone, their taming potential is the same. I have dealt with scores of birds (and owners obviously) both before and after the law and the reality is the ones that are reared by the breeder are BETTER pets. The reason is that the average person, not knowing birds, has no idea how to properly wean them. There are a lot of psychological aspects (such as development of independence, too early or too late weaning, brief stage for introducing novel foods, etc.) that can permanently mess up a bird. Sort of like taking a kitten away too soon can cause later behavior problems, etc.

The psychological aspect is very interesting with many animals-- For those that have time: Look up the damage humans do to pigs, monkeys and others that have gone through the "experiments" I call them trauma in the name of science.

I address in "one step at a time---form" so not to overwhelm the beginner.

Thanks for all the input.

Are they male of female? That may be playing a part.
Generally, a male will have a solid lavender to solid blue cere. A female will have a white to brown cere. (The cere is the skin around their nostrils.) The cere color is not 100% accurate way to tell because there are many new colors nowadays...and it depends on the maturity of the bird too.

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-52b5f19c36d8b2c64a82f099fb5943f9-lq

The psychological aspect is very interesting with many animals-- For those that have time: Look up the damage humans do to pigs, monkeys and others that have gone through the "experiments" I call them trauma in the name of science.

I address in "one step at a time---form" so not to overwhelm the beginner.

Thanks for all the input.
I cannot bear to read about the monkey early social deprivation studies.

Then again..all this happens with humans as well :(

I would like to update y’all the blue one is more friendly than the other he/she loves to come out and play but the other one doesn’t like to play. Why would one me nice and Trained but not the other one?
if you are still wondering about the gender and coloration, I think I could tell you if you show clear photos of their faces. I have three budgies :D.

Back
Top Bottom