Papilloma virus???

MarijeW17

Hi all,

Our Furcifer pardalis Pascal has one spot on the side of his back. We are worried, since it is a symptom of the papilloma virus. He is in perfect health otherwise but I contacted my vet about it to be sure, as we have 21 other reptiles to care for. He will contact me about it tomorrow. I still wanted to ask two things here, too tho:
1. Does it look like a typical case of papilloma? Should we be worried?
2. What is the cost to let him be tested in Europe?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG-20211229-WA0019.jpg
    IMG-20211229-WA0019.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 112
Hi. While it does look to my eyes like a papilloma, only a biopsy done by your veterinarian can confirm what it is. I’ve no idea on European vet costs. If memory serves I paid around $200 USD for a vet visit, growth removal and biopsy when one of mine got a similar spot. I would definitely suggest erring on the side of caution and make sure to use good sanitary precautions to prevent it from potentially spreading to your other chameleons/reptiles.

Hi. While it does look to my eyes like a papilloma, only a biopsy done by your veterinarian can confirm what it is. I’ve no idea on European vet costs. If memory serves I paid around $200 USD for a vet visit, growth removal and biopsy when one of mine got a similar spot. I would definitely suggest erring on the side of caution and make sure to use good sanitary precautions to prevent it from potentially spreading to your other chameleons/reptiles.
Thanks. We will definitely be very cautious. He can still live a relatively normal life with pm virus right? And can we still keep him?

Yes, you can still keep he. They can live a long life with papilloma. However, I do recommend a vet visit to find out what it is. Do you have a good chameleon vet? If you don’t, share your location and I might be able to recommend a good one.

Yes, you can still keep he. They can live a long life with papilloma. However, I do recommend a vet visit to find out what it is. Do you have a good chameleon vet? If you don’t, share your location and I might be able to recommend a good one.
We have a good reptile vet, I don't know how specialized in chameleons he is but he is truly amazing with reptiles. I'm from the Netherlands. Current vet is Anicura in Sneek.

Thanks. We will definitely be very cautious. He can still live a relatively normal life with pm virus right? And can we still keep him?
As has already been said, you can keep him and if papilloma it will not effect his quality of life or longevity. It is basically like a wart. The spot on my chameleon was removed and almost a year later, hasn’t grown back. The only effect it’s really had is she can’t be bred, but that’s just fine with me.

Hi all,

Our Furcifer pardalis Pascal has one spot on the side of his back. We are worried, since it is a symptom of the papilloma virus. He is in perfect health otherwise but I contacted my vet about it to be sure, as we have 21 other reptiles to care for. He will contact me about it tomorrow. I still wanted to ask two things here, too tho:

Thank you in advance!
Our vet said he can test for Papilloma so that is what we are going to do asap. I'll let you know what the results are when I got them

Hi all,

Thank you in advance!
Okay so THANK GOD it was not papillomavirus but a fungal infection. Completely treatable!

Back
Top Bottom