Panthers

ydktdborg

Ive looked around alot and ive found out alot of info but theres somethings i couldnt find out!

1. What age do panther chams start to breed?

2. How long are they generally pregnant for?

3. How long does it roughly take to hatch the eggs?

Thanks for any help!

Very general responses for you, but you must do your own research and cross verification. The answers to your questions are out there and very available.

1. Technically, as low as around 6 months is possible, but care must be taken to hold off the females until they have stopped growing- or weigh out the consequences.

2. 30-40 days, more or less.

3. 5.5-16 months. Depends on many factors, you'll need to learn about the egg developement process.

10 months or older is a safe age to begin considering breeding a female panther chameleon. Males can be younger without any harm done.

It usually takes 3-5 weeks for a female panther to lay her eggs after she has bred.

6 months to over a year.

Ive looked around alot and ive found out alot of info but theres somethings i couldnt find out!

Thanks for any help!

Very general responses for you, but you must do your own research and cross verification. The answers to your questions are out there and very available.

1. Technically, as low as around 6 months is possible, but care must be taken to hold off the females until they have stopped growing- or weigh out the consequences.

2. 30-40 days, more or less.

3. 5.5-16 months. Depends on many factors, you'll need to learn about the egg developement process.

Hey, you beat me.:D

thanks, all i needed what a rough time for each. Ive been looking into the whole hatching of the egg process and its long but im prepared to do it. i dont really care about the length of time, i just didnt wanna worry that they're taking longer than they should!

My pet shop said that they would help me and if i wanted to i could take the eggs to them to look after coz they have the equipment!

those links are good, the Bill Strand link is the one where i learnt about looking after the eggs!

This is a weird question but someone asked me this the other day and i never knew the answer. If she was to have babies can you keep a male and female aside and breed them as well even though they are brother and sister?!?

You could but it is strongly discouraged and does nothing to promote good healthy lines in the breed.
Inbreeding (if not right away) eventually weakens the species and should be avoided.
I don't know very much about genetics but any kind of breeding back for specific traits, ie: a son back to mother, should be left to really experienced breeders.
Just my opinion (but I think I'm right:) )

-Brad

You can, but there are consequences...
Inbreeding - Contributed by Jason Descamps

Inbreeding is something that I believe is affecting the Nosy Be locale of panthers here in Canada. This locale seems to be having some trouble in the latest generations. Though I don't have any evidence to show it, there are keepers who will most likely testify to it.

Well if there is even a small possiblity that they could come out weird or that they could be damaged further down the line then i dont think its worth it at all.
What i would do is just find another male or female to mate with my one.

Will hayward you have a lot of good links available thanks for them ive added them to my favorites!

The net links are great, however I strongly suggest building up your literature library with books. I have collected a decent amount and I consider most of them valuable references. Though some better than others, all are great to have in my personal library.

I'll have to compile a list, with my favourites.

if you could give me a small list of the top few that you think i should get then i will try and find out if i can get them in the U.K!

I can even get some sent over from america if i have to!

Back
Top Bottom