Panthers vs. Veiled

Jabba93

Established Member
{WARNING} TOP SECRET! My wife can never know. ;)

I am considering the possibility of getting a panther chameleon in the future. My wife and I love our veiled, Leonard, but I have been seeing some awesome panthers on this forum lately. (Thanks a lot @Decadancin :cautious:)jk

But for all you experienced cham keepers, what was the BIGGEST difference between raising a veiled vs. raising a panther? Temperament? Humidity? Size of enclosure? I want to know some problems I might face, should I choose to go down this road.

Thanks!!:D

{WARNING} TOP SECRET! My wife can never know. ;)

I am considering the possibility of getting a panther chameleon in the future. My wife and I love our veiled, Leonard, but I have been seeing some awesome panthers on this forum lately. (Thanks a lot @Decadancin :cautious:)jk

But for all you experienced cham keepers, what was the BIGGEST difference between raising a veiled vs. raising a panther? Temperament? Humidity? Size of enclosure? I want to know some problems I might face, should I choose to go down this road.

Thanks!!:D
Never had a veiled, but my panthers are sweet as can be! They rarely get pissed and it’s never for no apparent reason! IMO, get a panther! They’ll change your life!

Never had a veiled, but my panthers are sweet as can be! They rarely get pissed and it’s never for no apparent reason! IMO, get a panther! They’ll change your life!

In your opinion, does locale make much of a difference? Are Ambilobes easier than Ambanjas? Or are they pretty much universally the same as far as care goes?

The husbandry isn't much different. The panthers won't eat plants and veggies like the veiled but will go thru a stage where they chew the branches a bit as juveniles.
I haven't seen any specific personality difference by locale but only by individual.

In your opinion, does locale make much of a difference? Are Ambilobes easier than Ambanjas? Or are they pretty much universally the same as far as care goes?
I only have a Nosy Be and Ambilobe, but their care is identical. The issues that could arise are basically the same for veileds. Humidity really isn’t hard considering the low for veileds is only 10% lower than the low for panthers. I personally think Ambanja, Nosy Be, and Nosy Faly are the coolest locales

@Jabba93 I cannot speak to the experience of keeping a panther as I have not received one yet but I can speak to the situation of my wife. I ended up selling her on the fact that they are a lot nicer then veiled and more tolerable with holding. She wasn't happy but gave in so I did this:
I think your wife is going to notice sooner or later. You better let her pick the color.

She ended up picking the color and we are getting our new guy from @Matt Vanilla Gorilla .
I finished the cage and everything but I will keep you posted once I have them and I will be able to compare.

I only have a Nosy Be and Ambilobe, but their care is identical. The issues that could arise are basically the same for veileds. Humidity really isn’t hard considering the low for veileds is only 10% lower than the low for panthers. I personally think Ambanja, Nosy Be, and Nosy Faly are the coolest locales

Thanks! I guess my follow up would be that, everyone has told me veiled's are easier than panthers. But the more research I do, the more identical the care seems to be {albeit with a few temperature and humidity differences}. Is there a reason some people don't recommend panthers for beginners? Is it just because it's pricier than veiled's?

Thanks! I guess my follow up would be that, everyone has told me veiled's are easier than panthers. But the more research I do, the more identical the care seems to be {albeit with a few temperature and humidity differences}. Is there a reason some people don't recommend panthers for beginners? Is it just because it's pricier than veiled's?
I think the availability and price, because veileds are sold at big box pet stores dirt cheap and are always available. There are lots of websites with pictures of all the different locales, go to those and pick out the coolest ones to show your wife, their colors are fantastic (you can get a panther in almost any color these days)!

@Jabba93 I cannot speak to the experience of keeping a panther as I have not received one yet but I can speak to the situation of my wife. I ended up selling her on the fact that they are a lot nicer then veiled and more tolerable with holding. She wasn't happy but gave in so I did this:

She ended up picking the color and we are getting our new guy from @Matt Vanilla Gorilla .
I finished the cage and everything but I will keep you posted once I have them and I will be able to compare.

I would love to see that! Thanks Josh!

I think the availability and price, because veileds are sold at big box pet stores dirt cheap and are always available. There are lots of websites with pictures of all the different locales, go to those and pick out the coolest ones to show your wife, their colors are fantastic (you can get a panther in almost any color these days)!

What are some breeders you would recommend? I live in FL, so FL Chams are my first choice, but I'm not sure where to go from there. A lot of Mike's panthers are out of stock right now.

Panthers might be a bit easier because they are not as likely to hate you as much. Makes it easier to take them out to give them sun, clean the cage, etc.. They might be a bit harder if they decide they don't like what you are feeding. I don't have trouble with hunger strikes but that because I feed a good variety. But they could decide they don't like something all of the sudden. Personally, I would rather have a cham that pretends to like me, even if that means some feeding challenges.

Other than those two things, I don't know of any husbandry issues.

Panthers might be a bit easier because they are not as likely to hate you as much. Makes it easier to take them out to give them sun, clean the cage, etc.. They might be a bit harder if they decide they don't like what you are feeding. I don't have trouble with hunger strikes but that because I feed a good variety. But they could decide they don't like something all of the sudden. Personally, I would rather have a cham that pretends to like me, even if that means some feeding challenges.

Other than those two things, I don't know of any husbandry issues.

Thanks Nick! My veiled DOES hate me.... a lot! :LOL: So the idea of a cham that at least tolerates me sounds great!

What are some breeders you would recommend? I live in FL, so FL Chams are my first choice, but I'm not sure where to go from there. A lot of Mike's panthers are out of stock right now.
I just got my Nosy Be from Canvas Chameleons as a retired breeder, so I wouldn’t have to worry about raising a baby. He wasn’t available on their website, but actually here on the forums. @Chameleon Mike @Matt Vanilla Gorilla both have gorgeous chams! FL Chams, possibly CBReptiles or LLL Reptiles, just make sure to get captive bred and NEVER get anything from Backwater Reptiles!

I just got my Nosy Be from Canvas Chameleons as a retired breeder, so I wouldn’t have to worry about raising a baby. He wasn’t available on their website, but actually here on the forums. @Chameleon Mike @Matt Vanilla Gorilla both have gorgeous chams! FL Chams, possibly CBReptiles or LLL Reptiles, just make sure to get captive bred and NEVER get anything from Backwater Reptiles!

OH YES! I have heard AWFUL things about Backwater! Never gave any of my business to them, and never plan to. I don't want to risk being the next bad review about them.

So, @Jabba93 it seems my work here is done :sneaky:.

One thing that I have noticed over the years (just a casual observation) is that Panthers do seem to have more eye issues than Veileds. The care is basically the same, and I think Veileds get an unfair reputation for being nasty. I would say they tend to be more feisty than Panthers, but still can become accustomed to some handling. I tend to use a stronger UVB with Veileds due to the Semi-Arid conditions of much of their range, but if they were kept in the same conditions they would likely do just fine.

Just like Veileds, the colors will generally be amazing, and I think Panthers get most of the credit for this, but that also seems unfair to me. The thing is with Panthers, they are kinda like a box of chocolates...

And I would definitely make the decision a mutual one. Yes, if you can somehow make the idea the wife's it will work in your favor, and we will archive this thread so she can not have access to it and learn the truth (only kidding, you're on your own if she finds out, we will all tell her we told you not to trick her ;)) then that is the way to go.

Something to consider is the breeder, of course. As mentioned, @Chameleon Mike , @Matt Vanilla Gorilla (enjoying vacation right now and I figured I would interrupt and say I'm jealous), @bobcochran , @NHenn and many others have some amazing animals. One thing to consider is to just get an egg :eek:. You could have the experience of raising your own from the time it hatches. You would not know right away if you had a boy or a girl, but would have a very unique experience.

I think the reason Panthers are not considered for beginners isn't that they can't do it but the cost for a panther is significantly higher. Starting out I partly chose a veieled because I was afraid to commit so much money to an animal I have no experience with.

I agree that veileds get a bad rep though. My guy just postures really. Sometimes he will even walk out onto my hand while gapping and hissing but I believe that's just to show me he is doing this on his time and decision. Honestly he just does it here and there but once he is on my hand he is fine.

Back
Top Bottom