Panther with puffy eyes?

I noticed tonight my panther chameleon of about 3yrs has some puffiness around his eyes. He seems completely unbothered by it but I was wondering what it might be. I’ll probably schedule a vet appointment soon since we are due for a checkup.

He is not a fan of the iPad taking his photo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 92
Has he had a shed recently? That black Exo Terra vine tends to shed off tiny particles if he rubbed his face against it.
He has that one little string of saliva...any wheezing or popping noises that might indicate a respiratory infection?

The main issue seem to be the obesity. The boy is heavily overfed. Protruding eyes are the of of the possible side effects.
This xan be fided only by diet.
What do you feed and how often?

Rhe eye aeems to be itritated, the reason can be the dake vine ut also misting toi much during the day and too high temoeratures.
Hiw do yiu mist? Hiw iften? What are your temps and humidities at say and at night?

I’ general, your fake vines and plants should be disposed in any case, rhey are toxic and dangerous, causing beamth issues ti chameleons. Replace with living plants and natural branches

Has he had a shed recently? That black Exo Terra vine tends to shed off tiny particles if he rubbed his face against it.
He has that one little string of saliva...any wheezing or popping noises that might indicate a respiratory infection?
He shed just a bit ago. Shed just fine. No respiratory noises or bizarre behavior. Like I stated he isn’t acting any different than any other day. Just as active as normal and he doesn’t mess with his eyes at all or anything. He seems unbothered by it just wondering if anyone else has had this.

This is not caused by obesity in this case but by inflammation of the turret conjunctiva. This can be caused by a piece of shed in the turret or other foreign material such a particulate matter from vines, sap from plants, or substrate, or an early respiratory infection. Hypovitaminosis A can also be at work given that it’s both eyes affected as it can cause respiratory epithelium to be abnormally thickened (hyperkeratosis) which impedes normal drainage of fluids and debris from the turret through the nasolacrimal duct. As the fluid backs up it causes inflammation and can lead to infection. Sometimes even “pearls” of debris form in the saggy portion of the turret that have to be removed. The most effective course of action is to go to a reptile vet so they can flush the turret out, hopefully dislodging any foreign material that may be residing in there, making sure the nasolacrimal duct is patent, and starting antibacterial and anti inflammatory ointment. These can be difficult to treat if they progress. Treating it now before it worsens is the best time to do it. Sometimes flushing is needed several times and even systemic medications in addition to topicals. Increase misting and if he is rubbing his face on those vines (because these itch and are uncomfortable) it should be removed or wrapped because small bits can flake off when it’s rubbed. Disinfect any misting apparatus you make sure they are clean and not further contributing to the problem by spraying any mold or bacteria into the eyes.

Back
Top Bottom