Panther with a underbite?

Since I had an empty custom cage for chameleons my husband thought he'd surprise me with a female chameleon. He doesn't know anything really about reptiles and I have only owned veiled charms.

She comes with a health guarantee but I don't to offend anyone by accusing of them with improper care. I have tried to research what could be the cause, like a birth defect, MBD, ETC. Cases of MBD you could see it on the jawline but hers looks like an underbite.
Suggestions
( Yes, I am still going to talk with them just don't want to go about it without some knowledge )

- Female Panther, juvenile.I've had her 3 days -

Since having her she has ate crickets and BSF lava with no problems. She loves all the room because she explores all areas, learned the mist timers and gets in the same spot to shower and drink then maybe explore agi. Her legs don't have signs of MBD. She is friendly trying to climb into you while placing her food in the cage. I haven't handled her really at this point as to give her an adjustment time.

Attachments

• 402BCFA4-323B-4E8D-A329-68EA8359AE93.jpeg
    402BCFA4-323B-4E8D-A329-68EA8359AE93.jpeg
    281.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 81853E8F-2919-4DF0-B996-2A42DA2B3557.jpeg
    81853E8F-2919-4DF0-B996-2A42DA2B3557.jpeg
    299 KB · Views: 88
  • 3A758C60-5929-4F3B-9E95-CE1D34B3233F.jpeg
    3A758C60-5929-4F3B-9E95-CE1D34B3233F.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 48813F44-4FD4-49DC-9564-E080E3BCDA24.jpeg
    48813F44-4FD4-49DC-9564-E080E3BCDA24.jpeg
    256.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 2F1F886A-4513-4A0D-A331-75B7FA2B2C71.jpeg
    2F1F886A-4513-4A0D-A331-75B7FA2B2C71.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 96
UPDATE: She was seen by the vet. The bump was a hardened scab. Once he did a soak to remove and check to make sure no damage was done, she has started to place her jaw in the correct position. He said it was probably painful with the top touching and she was pushing it forward. No signs of MBD!!! The breeder is holding onto her until the jaw is completely healed. They will take her back Monday and if still doing well come back home! 🥰

Thanks for all the great advice and information. The vet and breeder were glad I brought it to them because if it wasn't just a abrasion that was healing it could have been a couple of things as y'all mentioned. Even the the breeder was Concerned ( don't know how she didn't notice beforehand ) she apologized that her husband didn't go over the cham before sending off with my husband.

With that being said. It makes me wary to get another from her and my husband said no more surprise reptile pets unless I'm there to double-check. He's so sweet, he now comes in my reptile room attempting to learning what they should and should look like..

Once again thank you for being kind and helpful!

With that being said. It makes me wary to get another from her
Mistakes happen. I think what's more important is that the breeder was concerned, receptive, and willing to do the right thing(s).

We see all too many posts about breeders who won't return calls, deny everything, refuse refunds, etc.

This sounds to me like one of the better ones.

UPDATE: She was seen by the vet. The bump was a hardened scab. Once he did a soak to remove and check to make sure no damage was done, she has started to place her jaw in the correct position. He said it was probably painful with the top touching and she was pushing it forward. No signs of MBD!!! The breeder is holding onto her until the jaw is completely healed. They will take her back Monday and if still doing well come back home! 🥰

Thanks for all the great advice and information. The vet and breeder were glad I brought it to them because if it wasn't just a abrasion that was healing it could have been a couple of things as y'all mentioned. Even the the breeder was Concerned ( don't know how she didn't notice beforehand ) she apologized that her husband didn't go over the cham before sending off with my husband.

With that being said. It makes me wary to get another from her and my husband said no more surprise reptile pets unless I'm there to double-check. He's so sweet, he now comes in my reptile room attempting to learning what they should and should look like..

Once again thank you for being kind and helpful!
Awesome news!

Back
Top Bottom